Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Finished bike pics on page 3...

-----------------------------------------

I was really planning to do a HD next, I even put an offer in on a rolling chassis for an xlch, but it looks like fate has other plans. I was walking through a classic bike swap meet and found a front hoop for cheap, so I caved and got the hard tail. Now electrical parts are incoming, and I even found a brand new set of head bearings in my parts bin.

I haven't been this excited since I finished the last one. I can't wait to have two :D

I'll hopefully post a pic this winter when it's taken shape...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I didn't think I'd be posting anything so soon... just scored a pretty much complete basket-case '72. I was told it had a seized crank, but when I went to pick it up it turns out that just one rod bearing is seized, crank is free. Transmission seems ok too. Some slight scoring in the seized cylinder but nothing that can't be fixed. So happy to have another 5-speed :D

And what a bonus; a 16 inch rear rim with decent tire. I have a ribbed 19 inch tire for the front. Was gonna run a spool front rim, but I like the big air intake on the drum so it stays.

Boyer, podtronics, new chain, 2x 6volt coils... all arrived on Friday, and cole foster gas tank is on the way.

Time for a beer...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those mufflers are BITCHIN!
If you want em they're all yours :)
-

These forks had 4-inch over tubes, so I try chopping them before replacing. Since I don't have the tooling to re-thread I cut the bottom threaded section off, then cut 6 inches of tube, then prepped the sections with a deep V and fired them back together. Made some 2 inch spacers to drop it some more. Springs are cut 2 inches as well. Right now the front end is 4 inch drop from stock with very stiff preload. This should be ok to mock the bike up, and if I don't replace the tubes then I'll polish them next time it's all apart.

Also filled in the triple and made some bars, they are braced together under the triple so fixed position.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the tank on and front brake hooked up so I went for a ride down the alley. That was all the motivation I had cuz the weather is so nice, so I got on my other bike that has an engine and hit the hwy :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.