Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
disclaimer - this is probably a dumb question.

I've got Betor triple clamps on my T100, clamping 35 mm XS650 forks with a 21" front wheel. I had to raise the forks 2.5" inches above the top triple clamp in order to get the bike at the right height. This leaves me a whopping 3.25" of travel.

The bike looks pretty silly with the extra 2.5" of fork rising above the triple clamp. I know the best way to deal with this would be to buy a pair of shortened fork tubes from Franks. No money, though...

Why can't I cut the springs 2.5" shorter. That would cause the forks to ride lower. What problems would this cause? Would there be an extra 2.5" of flop when the forks are fully extended?

·
Registered
391 Posts
You could.....slap a 1-2 inch bit of PVC in the top of the tube to give some preload and run slightly heavier fork oil. Then run som clip-ons off the exposed tubes above the tripple clamp. While you are at it you could go over your top & bottom clamps like this since you will not need stock riser set up. Smells like coffee.....or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
bump... any more wisdom out there?

Jakemon - you've done some amazing work on those Betors. That's art, and requires a lot more patience and commitment that I've got. I have a pair of 35 mm clip-ons that I'l use above the top clamp if I can't shortend the forks. The clip-ons are kinda narrow, though, and I'd rather use handlebars.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sporticus said:
disclaimer - this is probably a dumb question.

I've got Betor triple clamps on my T100, clamping 35 mm XS650 forks with a 21" front wheel. I had to raise the forks 2.5" inches above the top triple clamp in order to get the bike at the right height. This leaves me a whopping 3.25" of travel.

The bike looks pretty silly with the extra 2.5" of fork rising above the triple clamp. I know the best way to deal with this would be to buy a pair of shortened fork tubes from Franks. No money, though...

Why can't I cut the springs 2.5" shorter. That would cause the forks to ride lower. What problems would this cause? Would there be an extra 2.5" of flop when the forks are fully extended?
JEB, a senior member from Texas, sent me this and it worked great!
I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.....

1. Measure the amount that you want to lower the forks. Loosen the top cap and pull out the spring and washers. Pour out the old fork oil (pump the legs up and down to speed this up).

2. Remove the allen bolt on the bottom of the fork leg, holding the plunger (kinda hard if the plunger starts turning inside the fork tube. If this happens, jam something into the bottom of the fork tube and hold the plunger while turning the bolt.)

3. Remove the fork boot/dust seal and check for a snap ring around the fork seal (some have it, some don't). Take off all this stuff, pull sharply on the slider and pop out the fork seal. It's messy so keep some rags handy. Clean up all the pieces before you reassemble.

4. Cut off the necessary amount of spring, grind the edge of the spring flat on both pieces, and put the short piece of spring under the plunger. This will force the legs to be shorter by raising the plunger in the tube.

5. Reassemble, fill with the right amount of oil, tighten, ride.

If you have any trouble, take a picture and email me, and I'll walk you through it.

-JB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.