Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to lower my bike, but how? Cut the fork tubes? I hate to say this; is there a kit? Hugger parts?

Oh yeah... '99 XLC 1200.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
the fuctory sells both lowered shocks (drops the rear an inch) like 3 bills?
and a kit for replacing the tubes with lowered ones also (drops them 11 3/4") 150 or so

ness put out a "slam kit" for 89-03 xl's for a hundred and change that looks similar to lowering blocks
(zero exp with these)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not bad prices for the shocks. I can imagine the "drop blocks" just being a couple of machined pieces....

****** said:
the fuctory sells both lowered shocks (drops the rear an inch) like 3 bills?
and a kit for replacing the tubes with lowered ones also (drops them 11 3/4") 150 or so

ness put out a "slam kit" for 89-03 xl's for a hundred and change that looks similar to lowering blocks
(zero exp with these)

·
Registered
396 Posts
dont quote me...its been awhile but itll be close

and yep the blocks are just that.....here are some vrod ones

·
Registered
65 Posts
I lowered the rear of my Sporty about 1.50 inches with those shock reloction blocks. They move your bottom rear shock mounts down and back to lower the bike. It doesn't affect the ride at all and it takes almost no time to do. Made by White Bros.

They also sell rear "lowering" shocks (aka - short shocks) that do the same. The diference - price. About $75-90 (depending on year of bike) for the blocks compared to $200-300 for new shocks. The only thing I don't know right off-hand is if the shocks lower the bike more than the blocks do. But I do know this - 1.5 inches doesn't sound like a lot, but it is a very noticeable difference in appearance.

White Bros. also sell a kit for the front forks that lowers the front end by replacing the factory springs and spacers with lower, more stiff ones. You just have to be able to take the whole front end apart and tear the old guts out of your shocks to replace it with the kit's.....about $99 bucks as well...be sure to check against what model you have - this kit would not fit on a Sportster Sport (like mine !!).

So basically for 200 bones you could be closer to ma earth in less than a day......

·
Registered
200 Posts
El C,

Progressive Suspension makes the lowest Sporty shocks available. They're something like a full inch lower than the Hugger units.

Numerous manufacturers sell spring kits to lower your forks. They should run about $100.

Ed

·
Registered
726 Posts
My buddy lowered his by putting 10.5in shocks on the back. He pulled them out a Jap bike junk yard...they look identical to Harley shocks and they are 1/4 the price.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polock Joe said:
My buddy lowered his by putting 10.5in shocks on the back. He pulled them out a Jap bike junk yard...they look identical to Harley shocks and they are 1/4 the price.
Could you ask him what jap bike they came off of?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Short shocks work good on the rear---I fat-tired an Evo Sporty for a lady two years ago, found some used rears at the local consignment shop--think they were 10.5....
Same bike had a rear White Bros kit on it. I still have it and I'd be happy to sell it to you. How 'bout $60 shipped and I'll give $10 to the board/Ryan?

·
Registered
552 Posts
El Caballo said:
I'd like to lower my bike, but how? Cut the fork tubes? I hate to say this; is there a kit? Hugger parts?

Oh yeah... '99 XLC 1200.
shit man..if you dont know how to get into the forks to put in the front lowering kit..my friend JT lives in borger and would love to get some side work..he like me is a harley mechanic...send me a PM

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rev616 said:
shit man..if you dont know how to get into the forks to put in the front lowering kit..my friend JT lives in borger and would love to get some side work..he like me is a harley mechanic...send me a PM
I looked at my shocks out back and I can now see what appears to be a fourth lower position on the shocks. Really, it looks like I need a special spanner to turn it one more time and thats it.

There are fork lowering spring kits for about $100. I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, but it's always nice to talk to someone who actually knows what it takes. He might be convinced to check my work for some beer at least.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just took the lowered shocks and springs off mine...they're chrome and cleen...Pretty new too.
If ya want 'em I'll sell em for $75 shipped to ya.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you talkig about the fork springs?

dvlscoupe said:
I just took the lowered shocks and springs off mine...they're chrome and cleen...Pretty new too.
If ya want 'em I'll sell em for $75 shipped to ya.

·
Registered
94 Posts
El C I lowered a FXD dyna convertable with White Bros. fork springs and shorter rear shocks, it rode like shit but I weighed 270 then and the wife was 110 (don't tell her I said that).

When I had my old Sporty in the Rats Hole show years ago I met Randy Rall (sp?) he had a sporty that he cut the rear swingarm mount tube and raised it up higher and raked the front out another few degrees and ran a 21" laced front.

I loved this bike eventually saw it in a few mags but this was back in 94 before billet took off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, I'll try and ratchet it down one more notch on my current rear springs and see what that does. If you look at the picture of my bike you will see a reverse rake on the bike anyway, so I might get away with just the front springs. We shall see.

dixiedog said:
El C I lowered a FXD dyna convertable with White Bros. fork springs and shorter rear shocks, it rode like shit but I weighed 270 then and the wife was 110 (don't tell her I said that).

When I had my old Sporty in the Rats Hole show years ago I met Randy Rall (sp?) he had a sporty that he cut the rear swingarm mount tube and raised it up higher and raked the front out another few degrees and ran a 21" laced front.

I loved this bike eventually saw it in a few mags but this was back in 94 before billet took off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dixiedog said:
gimme a hundred bucks and I won't squeal..... :)

But really, I had never concidered the weight thing. I'm only 175 lbs - I used the White Bros. stuff and never felt a difference. The only thing your loose is travel, not shock or spring rate....The fork kit is more prgressive than the factory set-up, but the rear blocks mearly change the geometry and take away a little overall travel.

Seat of the pants feel, not too different. Maybe a little more nimble than stock, which is a blast on my particular bike because the 1200 Sport comes with a dirt-track style adjustable dial on each shock and fork leg.....I can run it really stiff through a twisty road, then just pull over, turn the dials, and soften it all up for a comfy ride home, kinda sweet huh?

I rode my dads Heritage and it scared the shit out of me. It was a mushy, spongy, nose-diving mess.....But after 50 miles or so I am just settling in on his bike. After 50 on my bike I am in level 3 numb-ass mode, which is the one right before level 4 (numb-ass and stiff back).....If you make it to level 5 you might as well not get off the bike 'til she's really low on fuel. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
El Caballo said:
You know, I'll try and ratchet it down one more notch on my current rear springs and see what that does. If you look at the picture of my bike you will see a reverse rake on the bike anyway, so I might get away with just the front springs. We shall see.
If you do the front springs dont remove the bushing on the slider , I had a young guy come by my house the first weekend of bike week after he removed that bushing wanting to see if I could put it back in (his was a FatBoy). He had to go to the HD shop to get them to reinstall it. While you're at it swap out the seals too so you dont get seepage:eek:

·
Registered
634 Posts
10.5" shocks on a Honda? The shortest I found was 11.5. I ordered some 10.5" shocks for my XS for $179. Hatch found the place for me. I've got the link on the HAMB somewhere.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts