Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike sat at 6.5" off the ground stock. I cut the rear shock mounts off, installed a set of 11" shocks and moved the shock mounts back about an inch on the swing arm and have the frame at 4.5" off the ground. My question is how do I figure out what tube length I need for the front. Will 2 under tubes give me a leve ride height? I dont know if I am just burnt out from late nights or what but I cant figure this out for the life of me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
1) measure what you have now.

2) wrap a tiedown ratched from your top tree to your hub and compress your forks until you get the desired height.

3) measure your forks while compressed

4) subtract the second measurement from the first. this will give you the amount your tubes will need to be reduced to get your bike level.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
dont know what top yokes you have there but on some you can drop the legs up through the yokes untill you are level then either be half assed and leave it like that or just measure how much is hanging out the top and thats your amount shorter...

might not work on the yokes you have but is by far easiest way of working it out that i know of if it does ... also the bonus that it is fool proof which is a result in my garage

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
if you need shorter tubes I have a brand new set of Franks -2 tubes I would sell you. PM me if you go that route.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have used JW's method and it works well. Since you changed the swingarm geometry you might come up wtih an odd measurement. Typicaly aftermarket tubes are only available in 2" under. Forking by Frank can make you a set to your specs.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
tom said:
hey quit cockblocking ya fucker!
:D Thanks Tom and Trent, I have a set of 2 under from Franks and I also work at a shop that is a dealer so I am all set there.

Sumo, I am running stock FLH trees so I can push the tube through the top.

JW, i will try your method to get it right. Do I measure from the top of the tube to the axle or can I measure from anywhere as long as I measure from the same spots both times?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Big Nick said:
:D Thanks Tom and Trent, I have a set of 2 under from Franks and I also work at a shop that is a dealer so I am all set there.

Sumo, I am running stock FLH trees so I can push the tube through the top.

JW, i will try your method to get it right. Do I measure from the top of the tube to the axle or can I measure from anywhere as long as I measure from the same spots both times?
as long as you measure from the same points each time you'll get the proper difference. just make sure one point is somewhere on the slider and the other is up near the top of the tubes.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
White Bros makes a decent lowering set of progressive spings. 1 and 2 inch sets available for less then a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would recommend against mounting floorboards on a lowered FLH. I have Progressive shocks in back and 2" lowered stock forks and the floorboard mounting brackets bottom out and scrape easily on tight turns (especially right turns for some reason). Kind of cramps your riding style.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Boa said:
I would recommend against mounting floorboards on a lowered FLH. I have Progressive shocks in back and 2" lowered stock forks and the floorboard mounting brackets bottom out and scrape easily on tight turns (especially right turns for some reason). Kind of cramps your riding style.
Luckily you have a cone motor. The squish pipe lives up to it's name on lowered flh's with generators.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts