Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some work this past week on my 72 CB500/4....been awhile since i've turned some wrenchs on it.

Lowered the front 3.5" and the rear is about 3".....did that about a year ago. Time to get back on her!!

Painted a few motor pieces....and started to layout a pattern for building an alloy tank. Original plan was just to use the stock steel tank....but the dam thing is so rusted inside and none of the home remedy rust removal techniques have worked. I even bought some Kreem(along time ago) and just dont trust the stuff. Its gonna be easier and better to just build an alloy tank....in the shape I want.

Heres a pic as I closed down tonight:

Anyone else building some old Honda's??? Lets see some pics.
Later,

·
Registered
471 Posts
that looks real nice, but whats all that shiney stuff on the engine?:p i'm building a chop, cafe type thing out of a 78 CB750k. right now as it sits it's pretty much just a lowered cafe. i am going to strut and stretch the rear, rake out the front and throw on some 16" 130's on both the front and rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is the sweetest CB500 I've ever seen! The stance, the seat/cowl, floorboards and tank layout... just fucking awesome!!

My CB750 cafe project. Just put it on the road. Couple little rides, mainly check things and playin with the jets. Fork seals started leaking so I pulled the forks. I have made a seat and cleaned it up a little.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay......fabbed/hammered out some of the new alloy tank for the CB500.

The top is a little more squared then I was really wanting, but.....i'm really starting to like it more square. Seems the more I look at it...the more I like it. Still need to weld in the other side and form up a tunnel. Not bad progress for just a few hours in the garage tonight.

Enjoy the pics!!

Later,
Greg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay......so I didnt really like the way the alloy tank came out.....too boxy........so......tank #2!!

Spent this afternoon grinding off the welds and starting over. Recut the sides and started hammering away. After about 3 hours....this is what we have:

....well guys...what do you think....tank #2 or #1???

Later,
Greg

·
Registered
263 Posts
gotta 72 cb750 stock and stripped down. I have really been wanting to lower and rigid that thing for a few years but havent had the room or money to go about doing so. Where did you get the lowering junk from? I like the stance it gives it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
exmonkeypunk said:
Where did you get the lowering junk from? I like the stance it gives it.
I did all the suspension work myself. The rear is just some 11" short shocks from Cycle ReCycle(I think??)....with some lowering blocks on the swingarm.

Now the front was the complicated part and involved alot of machining the internals. Had to rethread the damper rod down about 4" past where the stock factory threads stopped.....machine a new fork spring retainer nut and rethread the fork cap. All this pulled the front down about 3". Dont know of anything over the shelf that is out there for lowering the older Honda forks.

Hope this help
Greg

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.