Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally came up with a solution for a nice looking cheap oil tank. Maybe someone else has thought of it, but I've never heard or seen anyone do it. My original idea was to take a couple of 30's ford hub caps and roll a piece of sheet metal to the 5 3/4 diameter and weld it up. But that's a lot of welding and I haven't gotten around to getting the hubcaps yet.

So I was racking my brain trying to think of something else that would work. It hit me in the kitchen when I was looking for measuring cup to measure out how much my stainless steel devoloping tank held (the 5 reel photography ones). A one quart Suacepan! Well, 2 anyway. Figure about 20 dollars or less each. For roughly 50 dollars in materials I can make an oil tank very similar to the moon tank, but stronger. Not too shabby. I'll post some pics when I actually get around to doing it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
that is exactly the oil tank on my vl shovel with the hourglass bars. two sauce pans welded together. all the fittings for the oil lines take time but it works out cheap.

·
Registered
376 Posts
don't know what the chances are that you could find two of the same diameter, but they'd be nearly free if you could find the pans at garage sales.

·
Registered
338 Posts
atch said:
don't know what the chances are that you could find two of the same diameter, but they'd be nearly free if you could find the pans at garage sales.
Not as nice as spun stainless, but diesel exhaust stack with fence post caps makes a nice really cheap oil tank.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I used a saucepan for the aircleaner on my hotrod. I just cut two small oval shapes where the handles were, drilled a hole in the center, and polished it up a little. It works perfect.

·
Registered
376 Posts
personally i've got two gas bottle caps saved back to make an oil tank from some day. the kind that's rounded on one end; hexagonal or octagonal in the middle; and open with threads on the other end to screw down over the acetylene or oxygen bottle valve. i'll cut the two open ends off and weld the rest together to get an octagonal tank with rounded ends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
my oil tank is 2 spun stainless utinsil holders from linens and things
like 9.95 each
steg from kill city put it together for me, came out nice

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rad, this is the kind of shit they should put in magazines... Looks like I got some other cool ideas to work with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks close to shit, but my oil tank is just a black plastic bottle with the clear level indicator still on it, the bottom's cut off and melted together with another similarly shaped bottle. It cost the price of a change of oil :) Leaks like a bastard though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an odd ball tank that I am working on. I am using an Intercooler, you know the fancy aluminum things all the civic kids MUST HAVE. Well if you look hard enough you can find them unused and brand new on craigslist locally. Then you cap the ends however you want, mine will have the air inlet and outlet removed, not just capped. And then you tap and weld in your bungs. You get an oil tank and oil cooler all in one. Its will look amazing to boot. But a word of advise, you will not find a small enough intercooler, you will however find a large one that you can cut and tig to the correct size. Watch those fins!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
man, an intercooler? thats takin it a lil far, LOL... to hold 3-4 qts of oil that sucker would have toi be BIG, and in the end your bike looks liquid cooled...

im all for random ideas, but idk about taht one, post when done.. im curious...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
greasystain said:
coffee can with steel pipe welded on??? lol!
I'm sure that could work. My goal is to fabricate something that looks good for a trivial amount of money. I have a dented up santee 5 quart oil tank that I could use, but it looks like shit. I could also cut it open and staighten it out. But it still wouldn't look that good.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's sitting on a shelf in Pheonix in my step dads garage. You need one? Got anything cool to trade?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I love these thinking outside the box or is it tank ideas. How about old aluminum saucepans? You could use the end of a broken Maglite for the fill. Its Oringed and the cap would polish nicely. Just another idea to think about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
man the maglite idea is awesome! freakin brilliant! i looked at the aluminum pans too, but i thought it would look too much like any other spun aluminum tank on the market, so i went with these rachel ray stainless ones with the funky hourglass shape.

now i gotta figure out something for a cap thats stainless.. didnt they used to make some old eveready stainless flashlights maybe?

i wish i could get a good pic of the oil cap on max's gen shovel, i cant make out what he used...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts