Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been helping a friend out at his hot rod shop after work for the past few months & one of the jobs is our friend's dad's old car.
Anyhow, he's got more cars and bikes than brain cells at the moment & in the back of this Chevelle, all rolled up, was a poster sized photo (Like on real glossy photo paper) of him on his bike.
According to him its the cover shot from either "Chopper" or "Street Chopper" magazine in the 70's (He later told my friend 1973) but can't remember the particulars.
Anyhow, his name is Ronnie Pollini and the bike is (he's still got it...he says) named "Lucky 7".
I'm pretty sure its a shovel (in the pic his leg is kind of in the way & I can't tell those motors from the left too good) on a white frame, molded tank, girder front end (if I remember...shit I'm turning into him) 2 square headlights, sword sissy bar, reb & blue ribbon paint, chrome out the whazoo and I guess the most distiquishing feature, swastikas on the end of the highway pegs...I know its a bad description but you get the idea.
If anyone has any pics or magazine articles in it I'd love to see them.
Actually, I'll post in the classifieds section but I am looking to buy the issue the bike is in....we're having the poster reconditioned & we were going to frame it to give to him when the car is done.
I thought it'd be a gas to give him a copy of the magazine as well.

It kind of blows my mind that he doesn't have it...but at the same time it doesn't surprise me.

So...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Richie:
The name Ron Pollini sounded awfully familiar to me so I called Kelsey Martin this afternoon and ran it by him.He remembered a guy by that name that he competed against at Frank Maratta's shows in Hartford back in the 70's.
He thought he had a modified Sportster but couldn't be sure.I have a picture around somewhere that had a pic of a modified Sporty that was white pearl with ribbons all over it on a turntable.Seemed to me it had square lights in it.I'll see if I can dig it out.
Ray

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I went thru all my Street Chopper, Choppers, Big Bike, and Custom Choppers magazines frome 1973 - nothing on the covers, no article inside any of them.

I even went thru the '72 and '74 issues of the above and found nothing. It may have been in one of those Special Choppers, or one of those not so widely circulated magazines that were out then. I didn't bother with Supercycle, because it didn't start until '77.

Back then, an editor usually wouldn't put a white, or light colored bike on the cover of their magazines, because it doesn't make the cover stand out on the racks.

Also, Street Chopper wouldn't put a bike on the cover with swazis on the pegs, neither would Custom Chopper. Choppers might have, but it would have been "fuzzed' a little in that area of the bike. Nazi shit on the cover of most chopper mags outside of EZ wouldn't have gotten them any rack space back then. Even EZ would have kept it to a pin or buckle that was visible, but not flagrant, and they did mostly full chick shots, with a partial bike shot on their covers.

Safari, I ran across a white Sporty with ribbons, springer, and dual square lights on the cover of Choppers magazine in May of '76, but it was owned by a guy in the SFV.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray, it very well could be a Sportster...tha angle of the photo combined with the width of Ron's PANTLEGS :D make it hard to see....
If it jogs the memory at all I'm pretty sure Ron's originally from Dorchester & he's owned the Norfolk Tap for years......
Its a seedy little bar in kind of a bad section of Boston...USED to be all bikers back when....kind of backs up to the Edison plant on Mass. Ave.

Rich, thanks for going through all that! I didn't mean to put you to work.
What you say about color choice/accessories making a cover makes perfect sense.
If we don't get this snowstorm everyone's all jazzed up over I'll be at the shop this weekend & try to get a picture of the picture somehow or another.

Ron is sometimes there on Saturday afternoons sometimes but he's a tough guy to talk to.
When he is talking I never know what he's saying...but I'll try to get some more information out of him.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
hey Richie ..

there's a cat selling single issues of all those old scooter rags on the bay, I'll dig up his i.d./link to items for ya ..

if you have that good photo surely you could spot a cover ..

not long ago I grabbed the "Choppers" with CJ Allan & knuckle cover/feature .. had been hunting that one ..

will letcha know ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Richie said:

Rich, thanks for going through all that! I didn't mean to put you to work.
Thanks again!
Nah, it's OK. I have them all by title and years. Besides, I'm waiting on parts.

The hard part is motivating me to go down into the archives. I get in there, and I see all these other magazine articles I haven't see for a long time, and I spend more time reading than I do looking for what I was supposed to.

I was down there so long this time, the torch started flickering, and the canary passed out and fell off my shoulder TWICE!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, here's somewhat of an update if anyone's interested:

I talked to Ronnie again today & he told me it was on the BACK cover of "Chopper" magazine sometime in 1973.
Also, it WAS a sportster & the name of the bike was actually the "Freak Out"....and he explained to me the whole turn table set up....with the spotlights made out of coffee cans.
He also told me it was sold to a guy in California named "Paigy"?
"pagie"?
(Phonetically its pay-jee)
Apparently this guy who bought it was a stunt man.
THEN he tells me the article in the magazine has a bunch of build pictures.
I guess they used a 1932 Ford wishbone as part of the front end, and (from what I was getting out of him) they used a "hog" (his words) rear section & 16' wheel with the rear section flipped upside down and welded to the front of the 67 sportster frame.
He also gave me the rake and stretch but I forgot it.
Like I say... he's hard to follow but is full of information.
He then told me that he and this guy "Paigie" (I know, yet another spelling) built it...so I don't know if this guy helped build it or buy it or both?

Also, Ray, I mentioned Kelsey's name to him and his face lit up, he got all smiles and said "Shit I haven't heard that name in 30 years?"
He asked how I knew him....
I tried to explain that I didn't really and also realized it'd be futile to try to explain the "inter-webs"....so I said I was talking to you.
He says "Ray!?! I know Ray.....god I can't remember his last name. Ray?...Ray....ray...the pinstriper!"
"Yes!" I said...but couldn't remember your last name either.
Anyhow...he told me to tell you hello...and to say hello to Kelsey as well.

I'll see him again on Wednesday....we're digging out his chrome framed, z-bar'd, twisted girder'd 68 Bonneville.

Oh! & Rich, sorry 'bout the canary......how many times can it pass out before you do again?
:D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, here's kind of an update.

Although glacial progress has been made on my friend's dad's car I DID manage to find a copy of this magazine.
It must have been some kind of "collection" or something put out by McMullen just called "Chopper" (the very top of the cover is missing....actually this issue is in REAL bad shape) and the date is Spring 1973.
There's an article on the bike as well as a full color shot on the back cover.Also a bike Yosemite Sam had that was pretty damn cool.

Anyone have a better copy of this they might be willing to part with?
I think this one got dropped in a bath tub or something.....its bad enough that I almost don't want to give it to him.

Any help, as always. is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Man Richie that kinda sucks man...Ya finally find it and its crap.. Ill keep an eye out for ya, hell I found my 737 shirt didnt i? LOL!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts