Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to find examples of original paint 1937 ulh and u models. I want to repaint my tanks with one of these stock paint jobs.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If you can get your hands on Palmers book, there are some nice original pictures from Harley on pages 524-526. They show a lot of detail and there is a good description of the finishes on the '37 U model.

Geo.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I really like the colors the MoCo used in the 1930's. Between the color combinations, the art-deco style decals, and the pin-striping, I think those were the finest looking bikes Harley ever built. Man, I'll tell you, I just climbed down off a roof (building a chimney), and those tanks look so much better than the bricks I've been looking at all day. . . . Although, now that I'm looking at it, the Teak Red tank is close to the same color as the bricks :)!!!

Do you have any pictures of your project?

If you are looking for those decals, I'd be happy to pass along the source I got mine from. They were nice quality water transfer decals.

Geo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. The early paint colors are awesome. I really love the font and design of the logo as well. Its somehow a bit more tough looking then the chrome emblems in my opinion. I will def need a good set of decals. I hope somebody has a photo of the olive green with black striping tanks. Getting pics of my tanks soon.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Those 37 paint schemes are so incredible. I love these years the most. 30-42 when things really took shape at the MoCo for what we see as "big twins" to this day. Some of the first signature looks appear in these years. Easily the most beautiful era of machines in my opinion.

Heres a poor shot of Enjoyyourexistence's 1937 ULH tanks....Im sure he will give us some better shots soon.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Note the absence of reinforcement fins on the inside of the left hand side tank. A 1937 only feature. so cool.

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Those tanks look like '40 to '46 because of the emblems/stripes! Maybe somebody added them at some point?

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
So correct 48FL. Its looks like someone at somepoint solidered or brazed the later emblem mounts on. Maby they damaged there tanks and replaced with earlier tanks. Such a long and rocky romance these parts have danced.
Yeah, they've been around a long time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started popping the emblem mounts off but I dont want to damage the tanks at all by prying on them. Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of torch I should use to melt these little solider or braze spots? I was thinking my buddys glass blowing torch would do it.............. Kinda funny how there was a rats nest inside each gas tank. Walnut shells and whatnot, almost like one rodent moved into the lefthand side tank and then invited his buddy to live in the righthand side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts