Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a local mom'n'pop gas station that sells ethanol free gas... at 15c more than regular unleaded. I buy it. Is it worth the extra money?

Do you have a source for e-free gas? Is it worth paying for? I think so, but a buddy of mine keeps telling me I'm retarded.

Saw this on the forum a while back. http://pure-gas.org/

Just curious what fuel other guys run.

·
Registered
212 Posts
running low octane gas in a motor designed for a higher octane is bad regardless of ethanol content. I buy the highest octane available (usualy 93 octane) with 10% etnanol, my bike runs fine on it. If the gas station is selling gas with low octane that is supposed to be ethanol free, don't use it. I once got some very shitty gas out of a station that claimed it was 93 octane ethanol free and it about screwed up my engine, took me over a month to get the thing to run right again. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ethanol laden gas can be hell on fuel lines, gaskets, seals, and o-rings made from older rubber compounds. If left sitting for long periods, the gas will "go bad" much sooner than ethanol-free gas, getting gummy and playing havoc with jets, metering orifices and the like. It also stinks like shit and runs horribly once it gets old.

On the other hand, as for day to day running, I personally can't tell the difference in anything I own; from the lawn equipment, to the bike, to the cars. Others, though, will tell you that they can feel a distinct difference.

Bottom line, 15 cents a gallon doesn't add up to much in a 3 to 5 gallon tank if it gives you peace of mind.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I was flying Ultralights I discovered 100LL (low lead). It's what they run in airplanes. I've never used it for my bike, but my U/L ran great on it. The engine was a 1/2 VW. Some of the hot rod guys come and buy the stuff as well.

Has anybody ever used this in their bikes?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
running low octane gas in a motor designed for a higher octane is bad regardless of ethanol content.
Pardon my ignorance, I really don't know the answer to this question:

Are 70's Harleys designed for high octane fuel?

·
Registered
212 Posts
All Harley engines are designed to run higher octane fuel, try to never use less than 90 octane if at all possible. Bad gas can make a bad engine.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that's good to know. I think I'll go crawl in a hole to hide my ignorance, now. =P

·
Registered
208 Posts
All Harley engines are designed to run higher octane fuel, try to never use less than 90 octane if at all possible. Bad gas can make a bad engine.
this is incorrect when it comes to the older motors. i know my 71 sporty specifically says 87 octane in the manual. i dont think 91 or 93 was even around until the mid 70's

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
this is incorrect when it comes to the older motors. i know my 71 sporty specifically says 87 octane in the manual. i dont think 91 or 93 was even around until the mid 70's
Yeah, prior to that we had 102 octane available in a few spots. 99 and 100 were pretty easily found.

·
Registered
212 Posts
well, well, I guess I can't cover them all with a one line statement. I believe I will stick with 93 octane. You go on with that knockin and pingin--- 87 octane with ethanol is gonna get ya.
I remember gettin 102 octane leaded in California right out the pump back in the early 80's, good times :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
In my pickup truck, I pay 27 cents per mile when running the 10% ethanol fuel.

With no ethanol fuel, 23 cents per mile.

And get that despite the 10% fuel costing 45 cents less per gallon. I run "No E" in everything that burns gas.

·
Registered
706 Posts
One of the reasons for running higher octane fuel in older bikes is because the combustion chamber shapes are inefficient compared to those on the newer engines. Using low octane fuel in an old engine can, depending on the compression ratio, cause detonation. However, ethanol is a detonation suppresser. Thus, the gas companies may actually be doing us a favor by adding ethanol to the gas.

That may be why my high-compression Triumph engine runs fine on ethanol laced low-octane regular. It runs better on 100 octane av-gas, but av-gas is now 5~6 bucks a gallon.

Either way, I've been running pump regular with ethanol in my BSA, Triumph, Ducati 350 and Honda Dream for many years with zero problems.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I work for a large heavy equipment company as a field mechanic, and we buy the ethanol free gas for all our equipment and trucks. I have been running it in my pickup for a few years now, and all my bikes as well. Never had any problems like I did with the new crap gas they sell at the regular pump. According to the delivery ticket I have to sign when they deliver it, it is 91 octane, and I get my personal stuff from their fuel yard, in a 50 gallon barrel, for the bikes and just drive in and fill my truck. I got tired of having to rebuild my carbs, since I can only ride one bike at a time. I can leave the fuel in the tank for over a year, and it is still as fresh as it is new. Do that with the ethanol, and you will be rebuilding your carb and cleaning your fuel tank out. But what do I know? Like ethanol has been here as long as I have. No, you cant convince me that I should be running that crap gas.

·
Registered
212 Posts
when it comes to what we buy at the pump we are at the mercy of the pump owner, what is coming out of the nozzle is not always what it is supposed to be. I would buy high octane gas with no ethanol if I had a reliable source-----I don't. Therefore I am at the mercy of the pump. I carry a good Lucas gas additive with me on road trips to boost the octane, many backwoods pump stations have shit gas. This is a good subject for a thread.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I remember as they phased out leaded gas,everyone added "lead Substitute" to supposedly keep your valves from overheating and destroying the seats..was that all bullshit ,too?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm sure smarter guys have covered this better than I here on JJ but since octane often seems a little misunderstood I'll give it a shot.

Octane is NOT a measure of power or quality but of the fuels' resistance to ignition from heat.

Higher compression ratios = higher combustion chamber pressures = higher heat. It is with these higher combustion chamber temperatures that the octane comes into play. Remember ping is typically a result of premature detonation.

Thing is slow burn could actually be a hindrance in some older low compression engines.
Higher octane fuels may fire more slowly and still be burning when the piston gets to the bottom of the stroke in say your 5:1 HD WLA.

Under more normal circumstances there is NO performance benefit to running a higher octane fuel than your engine actually needs. It shouldn't hurt anything, It just costs a little more money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts