Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Shorai battery people with morning concerning going Lithium on my 1965 Triumph Bonnie with Boyer ignition and Podtronics unit. They recommended :this is an 9 Ah battery. Anyone know how this would work on my Bonnie? The guy I talked to did sound that sure of himself so I thought I would toss this out there to see if anyone has gone this route. He said it was listed as a replacement for my Interstate battery.:confused:
Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Powersports Battery

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I can't see how he came up with a battery requirement of 9 amps per hour, He would need to know the total lighting, coil draw, and then the alternator output at idle and at the average cruising RPM.
We wire up many British bikes as a "no Battery" bike with electronic ignitions so they don't necessarily need 9 amps per hour of reserve power, the Boyer ignition however is one of the more voltage sensitive ignitions so just having any battery will work as a voltage stabilizer , we typically use a small 5 or 7AH AGM battery on British bikes.

There are real small lithium ion batteries out there that will spin over a 100 inch big twin. but many people don't know that a older British twin is a kick only bike and they don't need much of a battery.
Basically if that battery will fit in your battery box and the price is right then you don't have any problems.
But, If you are trying to figure out why your battery is going dead all the time, it could be a weak alternator, not a weak battery. with a good strong alternator your bike should run fine without a battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts