Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run a linkert with a velo stack or otherwise not filtered linkert carb? Have any issues in engine life or solutions like the Stromberg Mesh filters at mouth of carb that have worked well?

Have a rod that runs 6 Strombergs without filters mainly low-mileage street/drag car without issues... but the "H/D Flathead Geniuses" have all highly advised not to run the Linkert on a Flathead w/o some sort of filter. Is there a 1 1/4" screen or filter used to run the Linkert Horn Intakes?

Thanks in advance, sorry if it's a stupid question.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 1941 Indian Scout that has been running on New Zealand country roads without a filter since 1995. Aside from sucking my jeans into it every now and then I've had no issues at all.
Then again on an Indian side valve you could probably suck in a seagull through the carb and not notice a drop in performance:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 1929 Scout has a Linkert with bird deflector. Though technically not wide open, the air pulled is unfiltered.

·
Registered
497 Posts
lets face it the original wire mesh type didnt filter worth a darn, ive run them both ways with no problems,the vel stack on a flatty looks too cool!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
One grain of sand/small pebble *could* ruin your day. Just think about a pebble sitting on top of a ring and riding up and down on your piston all day, just makin' real good friends with your cylinder wall. <SHRUG>Up to you of course, but that doesn't sound like a party to me...

-Kuda
'49 panchop (with an air filter)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I live by the beach, you wouldn't believe the amount of sand that gets packed into and around the air filter in just a month. I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I live on a dirt road . Run a paper filter on my 45. Lots of sand pebbles in the air cleaner.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I run the linkert on my wla with filter on sea level and without in the high mountains. This way I don't have to change the jet

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
i've been running these without filters and i know for a fact that after a while your cilinderwalls gets scratches from the stuff the carb lets inside without the cleaner

i have been running a 45" with the org. round oiltype filter and that had no scratches after the same kinda miles i did without the filter bike !!

so its up to you on this one
i live 2 minutes away from the beach and there's lots of dust and sand overhere so for me running a filter is better ......but i have no kneespace on my custombuild bike than anymore ....
so i just need to check my pistons much more often on that one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts