Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a DC L1 carb and was hoping that someone has had some experience with the carb. I may be referencing it incorrectly but that is what is on the carb, I tried to post pics maybe too big ill try to reduce but the carb has a DC 1 L marking and also a 2-1086. I have a couple of 60's xlch sportsters which I want to run this on one of them. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi 66headysporty

DC Linkert, just about the best carb for an ironhead...

1st DC 1 in 57 had an 90 degree angle fuel feed and truncated copper tube on the side. It was extended in the same year to join up with the iddle air bleed on top of the body, update kits were send by the factory...

Dead easy to adjust.

It was used from 57 till 65 on XL and CH. DC 1, 6, 7, 10, 12... Ckeck your manifold, the cast iron DC one is slightly smaller, throat and bolt pitch.

1st ever DC 1:

Later ones:

Patrick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patrick, Thank you so much for posting such good info.

I believe I have the later version here. This is probably a dumb question, maybe I have an incomplete carb/broken spring or I am clueless but the throttle lever seems to move without a return spring mechanism unlike the other carbs I have dealt with like the super e's i have now.

Rigidude, sweet article thanks for posting it!

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi,

No return spring on these, used with piano wire, old style handlebars with inner workings... Sort of nice crusing control, it stays where you leave it...

You can put a spring, I run mine like this, but if you have the inner workings, you need to find the reverse spiral since the original set up pushes the inner core to get more speed!!!

Yes, most of the early DC 1 were updated by dealers with factory kits. Yours looks like it's been moded for the race type venturi and possibly the std #9 butterfly from std older Linkert, M53 or other...

Patrick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patrick,

Thanks again, Here are photos of what I got with it, one of the bowl extenders has webco on it the other 2 don't, look same though. I guess that 9 with the X under it is the butterfly you mentioned it had, nice catch. In the other close up is that a vent or jet that is supposed to be in the top hole? The one in the carb has it but I didn't know if it was press fitted or screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
The hole: that's where the iddle/transition mixture arrives to the iddle adj screw. Should have a small copper tube inside it that connects both bodies. Iddle mix goes up the small tube inside the main nozzle and gets mixed with air coming from the outside tower...

Get the blank screw in front of the iddle screw out and check the transition holes, 3 or 4, are not clogged up... Use a brithle to clean them, not a drill!!!

Yes, 9X butterfly, from M53A K/KH Linkert...

Edit: oups, sorry, the 9X is the std DC butterfly!!!

Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts