Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Frame builders have all my respects. I was learning how to build a frame from a local machinest/harley mech. and there's a lot of shit that goes into building a frame. The main thing was having a good tube bender, all the measurements need to be exact, and be a great welder. I came to realize that paying for a frame is well worth it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monger said:
That's a pretty sick frame if I don't say so.
Are ya planning on making your own frame?
I think it would be fuckin rad.
I plan on modifying my stock FLH frame to a rigid. Some day I'll build my own frame when I have the facilities to set up a proper jig. As it is, I have to bring my frame to work and work on it during my off hours when the big bosses ain't around :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Galaxie500XL said:
Frame builders have all my respects. I was learning how to build a frame from a local machinest/harley mech. and there's a lot of shit that goes into building a frame. The main thing was having a good tube bender, all the measurements need to be exact, and be a great welder. I came to realize that paying for a frame is well worth it.
To make one frame isn't very cost effective. To do a run of frames you can take a lot of the variables out with Jigs. A C&C Mandrel bender would be nice too.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Galaxie500XL said:
We have everything except a tube bender at the the machine shop. Good luck on the build.
Thanks. You could always bend pipe on a flat steel table. Just pack your tube with silca sand and plug it, weld a pipe to get whatever radius you want to your table then heat the pipe up with a rosebut tip torch :) Let it air cool.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That frame will be finished when there are engine, tranny, gas tank, oil tank, seat, fender, footpeg, and taillight/license plate mounts.

For the amount of work that it is to just keep that frame aligned while building it, it would be easier to get a stock geometry Paughco or some such frame and your own custom rake/stretch adjustments.And you get an MSO, which will be easier to deal with than going to the CHP and saying " I made it myself".

You have the best idea hardtailing your existing frame. You will have fun figuring how you are gonna mount all the stuff that will be going back on. I prefer threaded inserts (bungs) welded into frame tubes over tabs looks-wise, but that's your call. The other advantage to hardtailing your existing frame is you will not have to re-title your bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did a 750 on a custom frame with no numbers, when I went to CHP thay gave me hell, but I ran into a girl out of orange county that did my paperwork after runnin my head in the wall a couple times ($200 and i cant remember her number) and magic, title on the next trip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts