Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many interests in bikes. I just dug out a shovel I rode years ago.

I started trowing parts at it and what stuck surprised me. I got a glimpse of all the old gearheads' bikes my dad hung out with when I was a kid.

It was the mid thru late 70's and these were not fancy painted, chopped (for the most part) or even bobbed bikes. They were usually shovels with shinny black paint, maybe a emblem, very little chrome, fat bobs and even some leather stuff. I was young but remember seeing these guys drinking a bunch of beer and pulling onto the road, standing on the pegs, leaning way forward and doing these crazy, smokey burnouts and howling like wolves.

I have seen several bikes like this here as a starting point, but this is where I will end up on this bike.

Is this the place to share this build?

·
Registered
947 Posts
yes, please share this build.
My friend likes to call this style "Jammer", try to pick up an old Jammer catalog, there's some bikes in there exactly like you describe

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Only if you promise to howl like a wolf when finished..! Not kidding.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is coming together. I will have picts up soon.

I stopped by one of the old guys shop this weekend. He showed me his projects. 2 Drag cars, a vega, and an old olds, and a nice 502 powered street camaro. and a pile of shovels.

I asked about the one he had back then and he still had it and his friends that was who I was talking about. Yea, The power to spare was from a 110 CI shovelhead. Both were built at the same time. I asked him if there was any problems and how he actually got 110 ci. He said: thing is fast as hell, but did not like to start after it was hot. He had to use both the starter and the Kicker. Interesting. I also got pictures of them. Also said he had to replace both cases because they both split above the tappet blocks. As to what the 110 ci. shovel looks like: After market cases, big bore jugs, Modified heads to accept the 3 13/16ths bore and 4 3/4 stroke. By the way, he runs a machine shop.

He really has me looking at building a Big Ci motor. Maybe a 96 ci. maybe bigger.

Dolce, don't think I could help but howl on a bike like that. Not kidding.

Got mine to start, Still have to wire and finish it out, but getting closer every day.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is more or less what I remember as a kid, except it was the 80s. We're a decade behind here..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Out of the barn
Photobucket

1st night:
Photobucket

Photobucket

As of tonight
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Funny thing, this was the coolest thing at age 6 in 1978. Memory is a funny thing.

Photobucket

It is a 110 ci shovel.
Photobucket

Here is the other one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 - 9 of 9 Posts