Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many interests in bikes. I just dug out a shovel I rode years ago.

I started trowing parts at it and what stuck surprised me. I got a glimpse of all the old gearheads' bikes my dad hung out with when I was a kid.

It was the mid thru late 70's and these were not fancy painted, chopped (for the most part) or even bobbed bikes. They were usually shovels with shinny black paint, maybe a emblem, very little chrome, fat bobs and even some leather stuff. I was young but remember seeing these guys drinking a bunch of beer and pulling onto the road, standing on the pegs, leaning way forward and doing these crazy, smokey burnouts and howling like wolves.

I have seen several bikes like this here as a starting point, but this is where I will end up on this bike.

Is this the place to share this build?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is coming together. I will have picts up soon.

I stopped by one of the old guys shop this weekend. He showed me his projects. 2 Drag cars, a vega, and an old olds, and a nice 502 powered street camaro. and a pile of shovels.

I asked about the one he had back then and he still had it and his friends that was who I was talking about. Yea, The power to spare was from a 110 CI shovelhead. Both were built at the same time. I asked him if there was any problems and how he actually got 110 ci. He said: thing is fast as hell, but did not like to start after it was hot. He had to use both the starter and the Kicker. Interesting. I also got pictures of them. Also said he had to replace both cases because they both split above the tappet blocks. As to what the 110 ci. shovel looks like: After market cases, big bore jugs, Modified heads to accept the 3 13/16ths bore and 4 3/4 stroke. By the way, he runs a machine shop.

He really has me looking at building a Big Ci motor. Maybe a 96 ci. maybe bigger.

Dolce, don't think I could help but howl on a bike like that. Not kidding.

Got mine to start, Still have to wire and finish it out, but getting closer every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.