Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while riding the long way home (it was dark), on an old country road, my headlight started acting strange. When I rev'd the bike the light sorta when brite and dim, then when out completely. At first I thought my battery was taking a shit, but it's good.

Did I mention I was on an old country road and it was dark?

Anyway, I check the light plug (typical 3 socket for an H4 bulb) with the switch in lo beam, and all tree wires are hot at the plug. Check in hi and all three wires are hot. Did the same at the switch and all three wires are hot in both lo and hi.

Is this a switch issue or do I need to start huntin'?

btw- all I have on the bike is an on/off switch and hi/lo switch. The start button is on the starter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Same thing happened to me last year - riding home around 11 at night and my headlight blinks a couple of times then kicks the bucket. I rode home on the tails of a few cars then started hunting. Turns out the BUSS fuse for the lights had corroded in its holder and melted the solder around the end caps. It didn't blow, but effectively insulated itself from the connectors. I cleaned up the whole mess and threw in a new fuse and it works like new.

Good luck...
Jay

·
Registered
427 Posts
StraightPipez said:
Last night while riding the long way home (it was dark), on an old country road, my headlight started acting strange. When I rev'd the bike the light sorta when brite and dim, then when out completely. At first I thought my battery was taking a shit, but it's good.

Did I mention I was on an old country road and it was dark?

Anyway, I check the light plug (typical 3 socket for an H4 bulb) with the switch in lo beam, and all tree wires are hot at the plug. Check in hi and all three wires are hot. Did the same at the switch and all three wires are hot in both lo and hi.

Is this a switch issue or do I need to start huntin'?

btw- all I have on the bike is an on/off switch and hi/lo switch. The start button is on the starter.

Thanks.
If your wires are all hot when you check them where did you ground your test light?? sounds to me you may also have a bad ground in the headlight?? Start there everything else is good...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah, my first thought is either a bad ground or a dead short - either would blow a fuse if you had one - that's why the wire's are hot. Another thought that just came into my head - if for some reason the stator is pumping out too much juice. Bad regulator maybe?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KnuckleBuster said:
Yeah, my first thought is either a bad ground or a dead short - either would blow a fuse if you had one - that's why the wire's are hot. Another thought that just came into my head - if for some reason the stator is pumping out too much juice. Bad regulator maybe?
I ground the test light to the engine fins. Bad place? Also the bike is not running when I check, just switched on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.