Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a link toliterature about lightening triumph rocker arms? How to and the thoughts behind why doing so is advantageous?

I was thinking of lightening my rocker arms for my 'street' bike and lightening and beveling the timing gears. Are these things just not worth doing on a street bike? Are these parts more prone to wear and breaking?

·
Registered
117 Posts
http://www.mediafire.com/?mgjgmyod4xd this should take you to tuning for speed by
P E Irving
and have a read of Dwain Taylor's tuning a 650 triumph B range engine.pm me if you want a PDF
He gives detailed instruction on lightening timing gears. Looks sweet but some question the benefit. You will be taking life out of the part.Guess it also depends how often and how hard you run the bike. If it's about the engineering exercise, which is interesting in itself have fun

Jerome

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, since no one else will answer your question: All you want to do is remove material from the tappet end. The area around the lock nut can be rounded, there's quite a bit of unneeded material there. The reason for this is simple: the tappet end has the most leverage.
Removing material from the arms themselves is not advisable because it can weaken them, allowing them to flex excessively. It looks very cool, of course, to have polished rocker arms, and polishing can of course eliminate stress risers, but many experts advise against it. I would also advise against using any of those trick-looking tappets with allen adjusters — as I've seen them break.
More important in terms of performance is to remove the 'thackery washers,' the springs which locate the rocker arms in the rocker box. Those springs create a lot of frictional loss. You need to remove the springs and then shim the rocker so that it locates in the proper place over the valve stem. If I recall correctly, after shimming you want about .010~ .015" side play.

And of course, getting a copy of that tuning book is a great idea.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I lighten mine to about 40 grams less than stock along with light weight pushrods,adjusters,shims, timing gears,valve keepers.clutch hub and or belt drive you are taking dead weight from engine remove stator and run total loss system for maximum efect racing do just one of the above you wont notice much but do it all along with a few other thing and youll notice it. on stocker just ride it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I agree with Skinner. By itself it is a negligeable gain in horsepower. You kinda have to go crazy with the little things to get any gains out of the motor. Easiest way to wake it up is a to add cubes with a big bore kit or get a healthy set of cams and then go after the small stuff.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I agree, the possible failure problems that it could cause does not justify the minor performance gains,
There are easier ways to get more power.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Easyest way to gain HP is to take everything off that dosent make it go or stop Make a bike breath from stock, open pipes and better carbs Lite chassis

·
Registered
388 Posts
well I use megaphones but with nothing inside but this will probly open a bunch of opinions. on stock bike I run 1 1/2'' but I like my megaphones like a flattracker. Ive found if you want to go fast find out what the racers are using and try and get as close as possible. with the dyno now its easyer than it use to be. some say two into one the best but Im old school like two pipes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts