Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages but more importantly disadvantages of drilling out your brake drum with lightening holes? I don't wanna do it if there is some catastrophe waiting for me. I had a plan hatched to maybe do something with a metal screen (tp prevent rocks and such) but I'm not gonna do it if it's bad for the function. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've been contemplating doing it and wondering myself. I think if water got in there it might make them less effective but I could be wrong. Lately I've seen a few people's brake plates brake during normal uses. It seems like they might not be the strongest brake plates ever made, and a bunch of holes in it wouldn't help that. Are you running a front brake?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been contemplating doing it and wondering myself. I think if water got in there it might make them less effective but I could be wrong. Lately I've seen a few people's brake plates brake during normal uses. It seems like they might not be the strongest brake plates ever made, and a bunch of holes in it wouldn't help that. Are you running a front brake?
Yes, I'm running the stock disk brake in front.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I can't think of any advantages to drilling holes in your brake drum. Depending on how many, their diameter and location, disadvantages could range from drum going out of round when heated to catastrophic failure. There's easier and safer ways to cut weight. You could probably vent the backing plate with a few carefully sized and placed holes, but don't get carried away.

Bob

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Two potential drawbacks. If you drill too many holes or put one in the wrong place, your backing plate could break and lock your wheel. I've seen all kinds of stuff that's been drilled, break. And it can let water into your brake shoes and hub. It does look great, you just better know what you're doing. If you do it, don't just drill them; De-burr the fuck out of every hole.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've drilled a few holes in mine and have had no trouble. I did it just because I though it would look cool. If you're riding in rain you're going to get water in there anyway. Mine had reinforcing ribs cast into the backing plate on the inside so I just didn't drill into them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Two potential drawbacks. If you drill too many holes or put one in the wrong place, your backing plate could break and lock your wheel. I've seen all kinds of stuff that's been drilled, break. And it can let water into your brake shoes and hub. It does look great, you just better know what you're doing. If you do it, don't just drill them; De-burr the fuck out of every hole.
Here is a great point that is very often overlooked. any sharp or jagged edges are cracks waiting to happen, You want things smooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.