Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....basically I'm a Castrol guy. I use it in everything, cars and bikes since the day I was born (so to speak). Problem being is there are no local suppliers for Castrol motorcycle oil anymore save one guy, and he knows it - prices in the clouds. And I'd prefer to not buy online) So I'm shopping for a new oil. Bought a gallon of Silkolene 10w-40 synthetic last night, gonna give it a try. Maybe some AMSoil next time.

What's anybody else using? Just curious.

Any specifications or experiences are more than welcome.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hmm...this'll be interesting.

In my old cars and my bike I've always used Castrol straight 30 non detergent.
The guy at the local "old car" parts store shakes his head everytime he sells it to me (I guess I'm the only one using it) but its what works.
For me anyhow.

God I hate trying to post without enough coffee.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
ol_scratch said:
.....basically I'm a Castrol guy. I use it in everything, cars and bikes since the day I was born (so to speak). Problem being is there are no local suppliers for Castrol motorcycle oil anymore save one guy, and he knows it - prices in the clouds. And I'd prefer to not buy online) So I'm shopping for a new oil. Bought a gallon of Silkolene 10w-40 synthetic last night, gonna give it a try. Maybe some AMSoil next time.

What's anybody else using? Just curious.

Any specifications or experiences are more than welcome.
I have run Castrol 20-50 in my sportster and Chief for years with no problem, regular car oil. In my sportbikes I use Mobil 1 15-50 18,500 mile on my Ducati and the valves were still set to nominal, so I see no wear issues with that either, the CH and Chief leak too much or I would use Mobil 1 in them as well.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
for normal oil in the old big twins I like Valvoline Racing VR-50 & 60W
If you want synthetic- Amsoil 20-50 is great and Redline synthetic gear oil for the tranny.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oldspeed said:
I have run Castrol 20-50 in my sportster and Chief for years with no problem, regular car oil. In my sportbikes I use Mobil 1 15-50 18,500 mile on my Ducati and the valves were still set to nominal, so I see no wear issues with that either, the CH and Chief leak too much or I would use Mobil 1 in them as well.
I know a lot of guys use Mobil 1. Only vendor of it around here right now, is the HD dealer. And I bet their price is doubled what I've seen it in shops that used to carry it.

I do the car oil route with an oil additive. My old brits don't really mind it, but a Hinckley Triumphs valves really aren't fond of it. They pitch a noisy fit that's kind of unnerving.

There's going to be a new AMSoil guy around here soon, so I'm pretty sure that's gonna be my new drug.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Scratch, if you use alot of oil- for not alot of money you can become an Amsoil dealer and geat the stuff for a break in price. I was doing that as sort of a "sub-dealer" to the guy that sells it here locally. I would just drive over to his place to get it, he would warehouse it all. it may save you a couple bucks if you use enough of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ol_scratch said:
I know a lot of guys use Mobil 1. Only vendor of it around here right now, is the HD dealer. And I bet their price is doubled what I've seen it in shops that used to carry it.

I do the car oil route with an oil additive. My old brits don't really mind it, but a Hinckley Triumphs valves really aren't fond of it. They pitch a noisy fit that's kind of unnerving.

There's going to be a new AMSoil guy around here soon, so I'm pretty sure that's gonna be my new drug.
I have a 98 T595 Daytona, the bike came from the factory with the "Triumph Mobil 1" after several oil changes at 65 bucks a gallon from my local dealer I started putting good old mobil 1 at 20 bucks from Walmart. It has 38,000 miles on it and still runs so well it will scare the crap out of you. I have not had any clutch problem I was warned about and oil consumption is still zip between 3000 mile oil changes. And yes I can hear those valves but I thought that was always a brit sign of a good running bike.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Castrol in the truck...Redline in its tranny.
Redline in the trannies of all my bikes.
Mobil 1 when I am on the road, as Redline can be hard to find in the smaller towns....but, if I can keep it around (I have to drive 80 miles RT to my bro's shop to get cases) I do like the Redline in the motors of my bikes as well.
Otherwise, the Autozone around the corner has the Mobil 1.
There is a lively debate on oil, but, me thinks most work pretty well, and it's just what gives you piece of mind.
Fuck Harley oil...those goons suck ass, and their shit is all sooty anyway.
I think we all get a little superstitious on the oil...and that's okay.
I have a friend, he REFRIGERATES his Bardahl until he uses it. Hahahaaa!!!
Mainly, I just change it a LOT...especially during break-in. When it comes to B-I, I have the patience of a saint. People love to give me shit about how I baby a bike being broken-in...but, I'll tell ya, they last FOREVER if you give 'em a little love early on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oldspeed said:
And yes I can hear those valves but I thought that was always a brit sign of a good running bike.
The brit harmony is one thing, but this wasn't the sound of valve love. I put in an oil additive to increase the phosphorous level of the oil, but I don't think mixed in well with the semi-synth. And I'm just leary of how they are cutting out phorphorous more and more from oil, to go without. Only ran it a little bit. As soon as I switched back to a synth with zinc it settled back to it's song of angels self. One reason why I like older bikes - everybike I owned since my Benelli ran straight auto oil without a problem. Now I have to run "Motorcycle Oil' or it backs sasses me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've been reading some oil ratings and it states Amsoil is the beat followed by Mobil 1 and Harley.
I thought I saw someone on the Journal who is a authorized Amsoil dealer.
Can you get in touch we me I'd like to get some, thanx!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the mobil1 v-twin in the bike. Advanced auto carries it so easy to get. In my truck I use valvoline racing cause its the only oil still with zinc adder which old motors need. (my truck is a 53 f100 so v8 flathead)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I usually use NEO 20W50 100% synthetic Racing Oil.
but recently switched to
Belray EXP straight 50

In the Trans, I use AMS Extreme Gear.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah I hear a lot of people using HD synthetic in there trans.
That ain't good! Harley syn is 20w 50, that isn't heavy enough.
It should be 70 or 80 weight. Use there tranny oil.
I also heard Castrol is coming out with some amazing synthetic.
All the tests I've looked at show Amsoil as running the coolest and having the least amount of wear.
JJ Amsoil dealer speak are you out there?????

·
Registered
727 Posts
REDLINE in my late model HD for me...but I also like Royal Purple oils too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use Royal Purple 20/50 Syn. Racing oil in every hole on 4 bikes, with the exception of gear oil for the Guzzi shaft.
Also use it to lube cables, and sometimes I have it with some pineapple juice and a little umbrella.
I call that an Oily Pinata...

·
Registered
20 Posts
REDLINE in my late model HD for me...but I also like Royal Purple oils too.
Kid....have you tried the RP in your new bike?
I traded in my Deuce for a 2008 Deluxe, and when I swapped the oil out the RP really quieted the 5th gear whine...
Seemed to shift better also, but that could be my imagination.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts