Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
harley style...just looking to get some ideas because i am going to fab a set up for my rigid evo and dont want to spend a grand for aftermarket sets. i am mostly llooking for what parts to attach them to or maybe even a set off of frame blocks.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Re: Please could you guys post some pics of mid control setups are attached

There are a few good threads here if you do a search. I would also like to see some more setups posted........Bueller?

·
Registered
362 Posts

I've been working on a set. I should have them done today. I'll take some pics and postem later. They mount off the front trans plate.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Alright Jason - here ya go...

It's 5/8 cold rolled bent and welded to a 1/4" plate that mounts to the front two trans plate mounts. A friend of mine makes the same style, but from the rear motor mount.

If you want any tips or tips of what NOT to do, after I made the mistakes, PM me. These are still not road tested, so I may find more mistakes.

Maybe you have more money than time (or a motor plate?) but this whole set up cost me around $40 in metal and bushings, and my old controls that I cannibalized.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

thanks guts all of those are bad ass but i am using a stock primary. I think i might try and canabalize some mids from a dyna and weld some mount blucks to the lower frame. well see and i will post updates

·
Registered
362 Posts

Derol!!Those rule!!
+1
Makes embarrassed of the set I just finished...
Thanks, yo! :D

But like I said, they haven't seen the road yet.
We'll see how they really end up working out. ?

The brake side is a little suspect to me right now. I don't like having that bend in the rod to my rear master... And when I jam down on the pedal, the whole right side bends forward slightly. But it certainly jams the brake on!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mid Controls on 76 FX Harley

I have a 76 FX Harley with forward controls. Id like to switch to mid controls. The guy I bought it from put a new outer cover on it and did away with the origanal mid controls and put floor boards on. Will I need to change the outer cover to go back to mid controls? I will post some pics later.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: Mid Controls on 76 FX Harley

he changed the outer primary cover?

just the inspection cover with the footpeg mount boss and shifter hole will be needed if thats really all he changed. maybe im misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

No, you just need to change the rectangular (with radiused ends) inspection cover on the primary cover. The mid control inspecton cover has a hole/bushing for the shift lever linkage shaft. The real question is, did he change the inner primary cover, as this must have the corrisponding hole for the linkage shaft to go through also.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

'He' cannot have just changed the outer cover....that mid-shifter shaft is too long.

And you cannot remove/eliminate that mid-shift shaft without pulling the inner primary.

At that point once the shaft is removed there's just the hole in the inner to cover/fill, & you can use a FL outer.

If you're trying to go back to a stock mid-shifter I believe you'll find you have to pull your inner to re-install the shaft.

On my '78 FX I left the outer cover & shaft, & tied it off from flapping around after linking a forward shifter...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

ive seen a few that were just taken off, and globbed with silicone then put back together penny pincher style like mentioned here. i think the factory might have globbed a few too. maybe that was later dyna inners...with the big orange plug.

if thats the case your inner will have this shifter type hole thru it mr. cortez....he might have of "only" replaced the outer, but like mentioned...he still would have pulled the inner if he wanted a smooth inspection cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...011QQitemZ320202580256QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
208 Posts

I was hoping he didnt change the inner primary. Looks like I will need to mak e custom set up. Any ideas out there?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.