Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And keep it civil!!

As with any bike related forumn or magazine even, I see clear divisions in some guys comments regarding types of bikes.

Many folks will ONLY ride and build V Twins of the American persuasion (show em a Vincent and watch them waffle!), all other bikes are shit to these guys.

Then there are the Diehard Brit guys. These guys dig their Limey steeds to a fault (I say that in a good way). They can tell you Whitworth vs. SAE.

Then there are the guys that like Jap bikes, they are cheap bikes, easy for beginners to bet into with minimal cost. Some, like the Yamaha 650s are close Trumpet copies. I see the draw, my last two bikes have been Hondas, a CB500T and a CB500/4. Perfect for a guy like me that has been an occasional rider the last few years.

I grew up around all types of bikes, dirt, AMF HDs., Jap bikes my dad owned. I am not a snob towards any one type of bike. The Buells make me drool, a Triumph restored or bobbed is like sex. A cool old Indian or Pan done in any style makes my blood run.

So what type of bike guy are you?

·
Registered
181 Posts
well...I like Brits best for styling, Harley's are a close second....and all the Japs ever did was make Brit & HD copies...but (IMHO) a thousand times better (more reliable, etc)

That was VERY true in the 70's & early 80's....not as much now....but, dollar for dollar, it makes much more financial sense for me to ride rice.....I could drop 3 grand into my CB750 and have a killer bike...fast, reliable, smooth....that kinda cash in Brit or HD wouldn't go as far

Now for all the guys here building old HD & Brit...nothing but love and respect....their rides are great....

the only time I get rubbed with the "JAP CRAP" is by guys who have never owned a bike or are Johnny-Come-Lately's who believe everything they these chopper shows spit out....

One of my favorite stories is from Denny Berg when he built his "Copper Chopper" , some Orange and Black clad lemming said it would be a nice bike if it was a Harley....Denny replied that it's either a nice bike or it isn't a nice bike and it doesn't matter what engine it has

Here's a short article on that bike
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/copchop/

So...like most everyone else here, I likes 'em all....Customs/Bobbers/Cafes/Trackers/Dirt/Muscle/Crotch Rockets blah blah blah

If it's got two wheels, chances are I like it...but what do I know, I ride rice

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dirk_Laguna said:
well...I like Brits best for styling, Harley's are a close second....and all the Japs ever did was make Brit & HD copies...but (IMHO) a thousand times better (more reliable, etc)

That was VERY true in the 70's & early 80's....not as much now....but, dollar for dollar, it makes much more financial sense for me to ride rice.....I could drop 3 grand into my CB750 and have a killer bike...fast, reliable, smooth....that kinda cash in Brit or HD wouldn't go as far

Now for all the guys here building old HD & Brit...nothing but love and respect....their rides are great....

the only time I get rubbed with the "JAP CRAP" is by guys who have never owned a bike or are Johnny-Come-Lately's who believe everything they these chopper shows spit out....

One of my favorite stories is from Denny Berg when he built his "Copper Chopper" , some Orange and Black clad lemming said it would be a nice bike if it was a Harley....Denny replied that it's either a nice bike or it isn't a nice bike and it doesn't matter what engine it has

Here's a short article on that bike
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/copchop/

So...like most everyone else here, I likes 'em all....Customs/Bobbers/Cafes/Trackers/Dirt/Muscle/Crotch Rockets blah blah blah

If it's got two wheels, chances are I like it...but what do I know, I ride rice
I think you and I are on the same page! I too see the young/cheapo Jap backlash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brit- I traded a Chevelle for a Triumph when I was wet behind the ears and never got it to run. It looked great...sitting in my garage. I still sold the thing for $500 more than I paid for the car. I think these are fantastic bikes for dedicated people.

V-twin- When I was bike shopping I had a passing fantasy about getting one, but my budget was less than $1000 and I wanted to be riding. They are desirable for good reasons. From Panheads to Ducattis, they are classic and beautiful.

Jap- Fits my budget and is reliable, but is not ideal.

I have great plans for my TX650, but I still think about is as a sketch for what I will make when money is less of an obstacle. It will be a very personal expression, but it will not have as much intrinsic, durable, or cultural value because it is just another Jap chop and not part of the heritage of making motorcycles.

The arguement can be made that you don't need much money to go Brit or V-twin if you are resourceful and connected. I believe there is a lot of truth to this. Right now I lack in both, but I know that changes over time, so I am riding my Bonneville wanna-be and thinking about how good a knuckle-head looks and being patient.

Does every Jap rider wish they had something else? Probably not. Do I? sometimes. Is it a big deal when I am riding? Of course not. Can I appreciate any of them? It would be ignorant not to. Japs Brits and Vs are all important for historical, aestetic and functional value, especially if someone has invested a lot of themself into it.

Anyone that would sneer at a well-made and tasteful Jap bike or a meticulously restored Vincent or a Cafe Norton has probably not spent much time working on anything is only interested in his customized personal expression through buying a T-shirt.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was always the big Triumph guy until I moved to the USA.
I still love them, but they really aren't suited for 500 miles at a time cruising the superslab.
So now Shovelheads rule!
But I'm building another Triumph :)

I do not like the Jap V twin bikes, never saw one that would'nt look 100 times better with a 'real' engine installed.

Seen a few Honda fours that have been kickass.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have to say that for me, nothing beats the look or sound of a Harley (or Indian for that matter). I appreciate other bikes and don't knock them or their owners whatsoever, but would not own anything else but American V-Twin myself.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Horses for courses - I've got a big Vtwin for traveling, brits for around town/country road cruising, and I've owned jap bikes which would do either.

Don't like working on jap bikes, but then you usually don't need to.

Been building brits the last couple of years. Wouldn't put the effort into a jap bike - the motors, to me, just aren't aesthetically pleasing. I appreciate the work that goes into them but I just don't like the looks of the motor.

Nothing sounds better than a shovelhead, and back burner/someday I'll get another one.

Pipe dreams - yup, a Vincent.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I personally love the sound of a Vespa with a drag pipe nothin sweeter.:rolleyes:

Really I was at one time ate up with the HD thing but nothin new does it for me from the mother Company right now.I will say I am having a hoot with my trump as I built it from boxes,gets as many looks as my HD's and Wide Open Throttle is
a experience that is unbelievable.
So I like em all,But i am with Chuck on the jap bike engines as far as looks and I am with englishman on the 500 miles on the trump.
Shoe

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the one thing left out of this discussion is the Beemer Boxer....I'd have one if the price/condition was right....and from an engineering standpoint, it is a superior design to either V-twins or P-twins (aircooled)

Aesthetics are subjective...you either is or ain't a fan of the BMW....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Dirk_Laguna said:
I think the one thing left out of this discussion is the Beemer Boxer....I'd have one if the price/condition was right....and from an engineering standpoint, it is a superior design to either V-twins or P-twins (aircooled)

Aesthetics are subjective...you either is or ain't a fan of the BMW....
OK, let me add that one to my non-aesthetically pleasing list.... :)
Throw the Guzzis in there also.

I was mostly refering to custom motorcycles, and what can be done with them. A stock vintage beemer is pretty cool all on it's own - and I like the Ural Retro, too.

Wouldn't build a chopper/bobber/fredder/ralpher out of one though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i ride a pan i built but i can appreciate any bike.I'd really like to do a triump someday if money allows.I started out on jap bikes and don't have a problem with them,i'm just glad to see people in the wind.

·
Registered
634 Posts
After having my Duc, I don't think I could ever go back to a non v twin sportbike. Ever. I'm open to a Triumph or an XS but honestly to date I have not ridden either. I'm sure the sporty will keep me happy for awhile. I think I want a board tracker inspired something though eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Django said:
After having my Duc, I don't think I could ever go back to a non v twin sportbike. Ever. I'm open to a Triumph or an XS but honestly to date I have not ridden either. I'm sure the sporty will keep me happy for awhile. I think I want a board tracker inspired something though eventually.
Yeah, I left out a lot of bikes like Ducs and BMW. My roomate in college had a BMW 60? that was in a plunger style chopper frame with ape hangers and 3 foot tall sissy bar on a king/queen seat! Talk about breaking all the rules!

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's fucking simple.

A jap engine = short-stroke therefore does not sound cool enough. but granted it's more reliable than the britt bikes, (but only cause of electrical, so if you uprade to electric ignition, you're ok)

the britt bikes are long stroke, at least my norton commando engine is. I swear the bitch sounds better to my ears than alot of harleys i've heard. It puts a smile on anyone's face that can hear it. even if they know nothing about bikes or hot rods.

Another reason britts are better. JUST LOOK AT THE ENGINE. the triumphs and norton engines are beautiful works of art. the jap engines look like lawn mower engines, they have no style or detail.

·
Registered
504 Posts
singledownloop said:
i ride a pan i built but i can appreciate any bike.I'd really like to do a triump someday if money allows.I started out on jap bikes and don't have a problem with them,i'm just glad to see people in the wind.
you own a panhead but are reluctant to build a triumph cause of cost? WTF?

i would love to have a panhead, or knucklehead, or shovelhead. but i bought the norton engine cause i could not afford an old harley.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm a beemer guy. I love my 71 r75/5. I've made it into a cafe style bike that i run the piss out of.I like the depenablity of them and the uniqueness. I also ride a 73 xs 650 that is my work horse. It hauls a side car in winter and its my daily commuter the rest of the time. its just a solid motor bike. I have a 60's lambretta that i use for farting around town. With those 10 inch wheels you can really carve around city street corners.I have a 65 honda dream that is just a beatiful unique little machine. It will haul my dumb ass down the road at 65mph(im 6'3" and 235lbs) i really like the enginering of the little bike. I use to have a 72 commando that i re built and it pulled like a freight train. I loved it but it wasn't much for going lon distances. I have a t 100 basket that i need to build i still haven't decided how just yet. blah blah blah.The only american bike that i have owned was a rokon, what a beast that was. Bikes to me are supposed to be a cheap and fun source of travel and entertainment. When they became a fashion acessory it kind of ruined it for me. I still love old bikes just not the new type of owners. I really respect people who work on their own stuff. even if its changing their own oil and putting air in their tires. i just don't like people who try to force their unsolicited opinions on me. We are all bikers we have to stick together. so endith the sermon. I'm going riding. Gregg

·
Registered
181 Posts
maybe it's just me...but I don't get wrapped up in how an engine "sounds"...just like the truism "Chrome Don't Get You Home"..."Sound Don't Get You Around"....reliability is the key for me...it could sound like a moose farting Beethovens' 5th Symphony for all I care....I want to get from point A to point B with as few problems as possible....

...and, Aesthetics being subjective, I think the Honda inline 4 is a neat, efficient design...all "BauHaus" with form following function....

...and the more oil I keep in the crank and less I leave on the road, the better I like it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts