Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find examples, diagrams, or anything to make a right side shift into a left side jockey shift. I'm trying to come up with some sort of fulcrum.

·
Registered
630 Posts
vorhese said:
I'm trying to find examples, diagrams, or anything to make a right side shift into a left side jockey shift. I'm trying to come up with some sort of fulcrum.
I've done a few on unit triumphs..
You need a cross over shaft from right to left...using the stock swingarm mounts is easy, since you know they are in line. I put bushings into the motor mounts I made for the goose for this purpose. Then you need a linkage on the right side of the bike, connecting the shifter to the cross over. Attach a lever to the left hand side and voila.
Helps to have splines on at least one end to get the timing right. I've scavenged parts off jap bikes just to save the splined parts and welded them to new levers and shafts.
A stock shifter, if you grind the bump where the toe hits it, can be ground down a little and threaded 3/8-16. Makes it easy to attach a heim joint.
Now for some pics.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That was way helpful. I'm gonna have to do it a little differently. I have that hole between my seat and tank I'm going to try to use. The red bar needs to get around my carbs so it's gonna be a weird shape. Guess I'll just have to try it and see if it works. Looking at it... wouldnt the two radii need to be the same??

·
Registered
396 Posts
i cant believe that purple bike made it all the way to cali

i see the tank still leaks around the petcock

got a complete shot of it?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I traded a 63 Galaxie for it from Rowdy in Tennessee (I'm in COl, Oh now, moving monday).

·
Registered
630 Posts
vorhese said:
I'm gonna have to do it differently. I have that hole between my seat and tank I'm going to try to use. The red bar needs to get around my carbs so it's gonna be a weird shape. Guess I'll just have to try it and see if it works. Looking at it... wouldnt the two radii need to be the same??
yep the two radii, or the length of the two levers, need to be the same

·
Registered
944 Posts
vorhese said:
However you end up doing it, I applaud the fact that you are not going to just use a 20ft. 50 pound extendo-shifter on the right.
The shiting mechaism isn't very robust.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this might work. This way forward is 1st, back is 4th. Just should squeel in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts