Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says, I have a leaky carb on a '79 sporty. I believe it is the original carb. It it leaking from the accelerator diaphram. I replaced the diaphram and sanded the small plate, but she's still a leaker. this is my first experience with Harley, so I don't know if this is a common problem. And if it is, how do I fix it? It is also leaking from the overflow tube. This I believe is a crappy petcock. Would a leaky petcock also cause the accel. leak?
Thanks for your help
Shawn

·
Registered
372 Posts
El Shawn said:
Like it says, I have a leaky carb on a '79 sporty. I believe it is the original carb. It it leaking from the accelerator diaphram. I replaced the diaphram and sanded the small plate, but she's still a leaker. this is my first experience with Harley, so I don't know if this is a common problem. And if it is, how do I fix it? It is also leaking from the overflow tube. This I believe is a crappy petcock. Would a leaky petcock also cause the accel. leak?
Thanks for your help
Shawn
Check the float. Sounds like either it's bad, or some trash is in the inlet needle, keeping it from sealing. The leaky petcock isn't the problem, but it should be fixed also.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would suggest getting a Zenith Bendix off ebay for $40-$50. You could shell out some bucks and pick up a S&S Super E Shorty for around $200 or so.

I've heard of people running newer Keihen (sp) but I've never run that setup so I can't say if it's good or bad.

·
Registered
237 Posts
CVs are completely easy. Uncool, but easy - I gave up on being cool and run CVs on both of my current rides - they are very forgiving of altitude, pressure and temp changes.

TurboRoadster said:
keihen cv's are a breeze to set up and would be a choice replacement, also cheaply found.
a 38 can flow enough for 100 ponies or so easy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.