Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to but a Late Model Springer . Would it fit on a 74 FLH stock swing arm frame? or would it look out of place? Thanks for all input +or -

·
Administrator
7,824 Posts
It will fit in terms of neck size, but they never look quite right to me on Shovel frame.

Plus, I believe that they are deraked from the factory. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
A late model springer will fit no problem, although you may have to be a little creative with your fork stops. If I can figure out how to stick a picture to this post, I'll show you a FL springer on a '75 shovel frame thats been hard tailed. Don't let the early springer drum brake on the late model springer throw you off - I felt like doing something different, something that I hadn't seen done before.

Regards,
Geo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'll try a couple more pictures of a late model springer with a shovel frame (if I can remember how I stuck the pics to the last post, I'm not too sharp with this computer shit. Give me a wrench and I'm happy :D )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Stinky Pete-No, that shifter doesn't get in my way at all. I had a different one on there for a day or two (one of the store-bought kind from the aftermarket suppliers that I had in the pile), but it hit me in the back of the leg when I was taking off or coming to a stop, so I bent up the one you see. It feels a lot better.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.
Myselfe i like a hardtail frame with a springer look.
But i will try to pick up the springer if all goes well for future project.
Moosehead on swingarm FL frame .
Nice Bike Old Wrench

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Okie Pete, The later model Harley springer front end is a superior mechanical design when compared to the earlier model springer. The late model incorporates modern spherical bearings and much stronger and smoother forked connection at the rocker. They are also stronger and stiffer through the upper part of the rear rigid fork (where the "lower tree" connects to the legs). I've done repairs and straightening on both the old and the new springers and I speak from practical experience. One of the things some people don't like is the big ass shock mounted on the newer ones. Although the shock is very functional (the ride control and the Monroe shock assembly were offered to improve the handeling of the old Harley springers), I like the look with no shock. I'll post a picture of a late model modified front front spring fork with the lower shock mount shaved off. It makes a big difference in looks.

I run both early and late springers. Early model on my '54 pan and late model on my '75 shovel, so I'm not going to advocate one over the other, I'd rather present the facts and let everybody make up their own minds.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not a necro-post cuz u popped the linkie from the newer thread...
I had to give this a bump cuz I love the bike. Is the springer from a 95-97 badboy? The stupid thing is screaming for a springer shock but I woulda done the same exact thing. It would have been suicide if not just passing the point of No Return to cutoff the lower shock mounts. Just in case, right?
Lol

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for bumping this to share the info.
I traded that pile of parts and a wad of cash for a 69 FLH. The springer never came about. I think I was a pawn in a trade o-well .

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey old wrench,
is that just a simple clamp on the leg that the brake arm is bolted to , or is the clamp welded on the leg???
my springer needs a bracket to mount my brake arm to, wondering how well just a clamp would work .
thanks

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
hey old wrench,
is that just a simple clamp on the leg that the brake arm is bolted to , or is the clamp welded on the leg???
my springer needs a bracket to mount my brake arm to, wondering how well just a clamp would work .
thanks
Harleyfunds,
I've done them both ways. On the shovel with the black late model springer (FL type) I used a bolt-on clamp assembly. A small and simple clamp by itself won't do the trick because of the taper on the leg of the rear fork; the force transferred to the clamp as a result of the braking action and the force of gravity eventually pull the clamp down the leg because of the way the leg is tapered. I found it was necessary to add a small support to the clamp that firmly locks the clamp in place. The support piece is mounted by passing the rear rocker bolt through it at the bottom and fastened at the top by sandwiching it in with the brake stay and the leg clamp using the brake stay stud. It's a rock solid assembly and it's hidden behind the springer leg. It's not a bad way to go if you are looking for a bolt-on solution with no modifications or welding. I attached a couple pics of the parts for you. I also attached a pic of a weld-on brake lug from a late model FX springer front end for you. Either way will solve the problem :).

If you need any dimensions, let me know.

Geo.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Harleyfunds,
When you make your clamp, try to match the taper of the leg; not only will it look better, it will grab the leg much better. Also, the clamp should be " P " shaped so the brake stay will bear on it properly. The support bracket for the clamp doesn't need to be real heavy-duty, it's real purpose is to stop any tendency the clamp might have to work it's way down the leg.
I imagine you plan on mounting a drum brake on your late model springer. What type of brake specifically? Maybe you'll post up your progress. Good Luck on your project.

Geo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the springer is not a late model springer, just one i picked up someplace,nice chrome, just no tab for the brake arm.
running a star hub and original brake drum and backing plate both chromed.
been running it with no front brake for a while,just want the hold on unlevel spots,will get some pictures up later in spring,everything is on hold til temps rise.
thanks again for all help and ideas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.