Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got tired of hunting for the proper shifte lever so I made the one I have work and work without welding. As well I made the shift linkage and it works pretty damn good. the rods 5/16 and seems a little wonky so it made be beefed up. The foward control shift lever sucks and needs some mods. I cant get my fat foot under it to upshift. but itssssssssssssssss there!!!
My question today is. Did they make a 4 and 3 speed trans on the 76 Ironhead?
mine seems to follow this pattern. 1 down, nuetral 2 up and 3up then at the 4th position it goes into a nuetral gear? is my 4th missing or is it just a 3spd???
its all progress no matter how I look at it.
PS my knees been feeling better and better and I almost got her popped over last night but I feel my plugs are fowled out or the points my buddy set are off now. Ive got AUTOLITE 4316's are these Ok?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My XS does this too...its just the lever doing really nothing at that point. You go up into your last gear and the lever will continue to move, not stop. Actually all my bikes have done this... Doesnt hurt anything, supposed to do it. Now, if yours is actually going back into neutral, that is a whole 'nother story..

XCS

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XCabbieS said:
My XS does this too...its just the lever doing really nothing at that point. You go up into your last gear and the lever will continue to move, not stop. Actually all my bikes have done this... Doesnt hurt anything, supposed to do it. Now, if yours is actually going back into neutral, that is a whole 'nother story..

XCS
I think thats it more then anything..........Ill look and see if the forward control lever is hitting the bracket and not letting it go further into gear

·
Registered
335 Posts
Man, I just re-read your original post..so it doesnt actually engage 4th then? Hmmm. I doubt its your lever hitting something, as its going into second and third fine, correct? Personally Im a little ignorant on the workings of thaose particular tranny's but it sounds like you could have a bent shift fork that just isnt letting everything line up the way it should. Keep in mind that it may actually go into 4th when running though...had a friend whos bike did that...couldnt get it to go into his last gear to save his life unless the bike was running.. Sorry I can be of more help.

XCS

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
=mike= said:
does the bike not run right now ?
it did run but I gotta change the plugs and reset the points...the more I thought about it....my buddy set the points and that was the last time it ran hahahah I get some pops and flames but no full start. IT WILL RUN BY TOMARROW IT WILL RUN

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
okay . push it through the gears under power for a few blocks before you start taking the motor apart . It might just be fiesty and not wanting to go into gear unless it is running like cabbie says . Unless it is a false neutral , but that is odd that high in the gears . I had a few british bikes do that inbetween 2nd & 3rd . . . like a fake neutral , but 4th gear fakie is unheard of .

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it's fairly common on some bikes to have to be in motion to get into certain gears. At least bikes I've ridden. Hell I've had cars that you couldn't shift through all the gears unless you were moving.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
james said:
I think it's fairly common on some bikes to have to be in motion to get into certain gears. At least bikes I've ridden. Hell I've had cars that you couldn't shift through all the gears unless you were moving.
thanks you guys are great

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey man no problem. Hopefully its just being tempermental, which is probably the case here. Hopefully the knee will hold up for you to see if this is what it is.. One last thing, when you click for 4th, does it feel like its hanging up on something, or just going into nothing? Either way, ive got a bright shiney quarter riding on the "bike needs to be running" spread.

XCS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts