Jockey Journal Forum banner

321 - 340 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 · (Edited)
awesume bike man...i would like to see it in person sumtime!...spACEy
Thanks! Next time you are going through Tupelo let me know, I'd be glad to meet you. 'Course I can't show the bike in this thread since it is in Japan now, but I do still have "Angry Monkey"

Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dan amazing bike. I watched the whole thing thru too the ebay auction. I joined the board just recently for all the knowledge. I curently have 2 xs's which I know arent welcome here, but I dont mind. My question to you is how do you feel about people trying to copy your build? I sure most would be hard pressed to follow thru on the craftsmanship you produce. But still you document the bike so well it makes it easy to bit your ideas. I must admit on my first build (currently going on now) that I am using a CF tank cause you made it look so good!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can only inspire to be that creative in my builds!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there is nothing new under the sun in regard to motorcycles. Fact is, nobody has a patent on "cool". Borrowing ideas from from other builders and then perhaps improving them a bit is what assures there will always be something interesting to look at. However, there is a BIG difference in borrowing ideas, and making a complete COPY of another's work. However, if this build thread inspires a new builder to finish their bike, and end up with a scoot they will enjoy, then that will be just fine by me.
Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there is nothing new under the sun in regard to motorcycles. Fact is, nobody has a patent on "cool". Borrowing ideas from from other builders and then perhaps improving them a bit is what assures there will always be something interesting to look at. However, there is a BIG difference in borrowing ideas, and making a complete COPY of another's work. However, if this build thread inspires a new builder to finish their bike, and end up with a scoot they will enjoy, then that will be just fine by me.
Cheers, Dan.
Well Said!

·
Registered
356 Posts
One of my first art professors always taught that you should never borrow ideas, you should steal them, because when you steal an idea you make it your own, borrowing an idea it is still theirs. It's the difference between mimicking/copying and being inspired by something.
As Dan said there is nothing new under the sun, especially in this aspect of the motorcycle world. And (not to smite Dan), there is nothing really "new and original" about Dan's bikes. As a "canvas" the motorcycle is fairly minimal, which means that everything is in the details, and this is where Dan's bikes shine. They are beautiful machines, with a strong sense of balance and proportions. He also has a very nice line quality to his bikes that allows your eye to move seamlessly over the whole bike. Nothing is out of place, or out of proportion. I think these are the quality's that people are trying to achieve by "copying" certain (or all) aspects of Dan's bikes, but think that it is the parts that create this. A bike like this is not the sum of it's parts, it is a well thought out design, an eye for the details, and passion, loads of passion.
Ok that's enough sun shine for Dan's ass.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Absolutley amazing work there. I can really appreciate the time and creativity that has gone into these boys.

Quick generic question, what are the sizes of the tires that you use for both builds? The wheels gatta be 16 rear and 21 front.

·
Registered
128 Posts
absolutely lovely, trade you for my old lady!
Can any body tell me why they stopped makin' roker boxes that f'kn easy to open up
'specially on the intake side!!

·
Banned
44 Posts
Dan, I'm very impressed with your results by brow sweat. Beautiful to say the least. Monkey was the first build of yours that I saw, and Larry followed nicely. However, people need to read the entire build story before they ask the same questions over and over again, or open their eyes and just see that nothing on Larry is store bought except for the tires. My current build is a 1970 T-100C that's been in my possession for 24 years, and is my first personal build. When I bought it I was 18 working at a custom bike shop in Abilene Texas. I'm 42 now, and kind of glad its taken this long to do because the build would have fallen short and probably been sold over the years. Thank you Dan for the ideas and inspiration. If I steal anything you will be credited.

321 - 340 of 341 Posts