Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any machinists...

What type of knurling tool do you suggest for use on a 40+ year old lather with no auto advance (only hand operated)...the floating/scissor type, or the the standard type?

I'm looking to get something to make pegs/grips out of aluminum and brass.

Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've never done it cranking it by hand. I'm sure you could do it... but it will be hard to nail a good pattern. I don't really have a brand recomendation, I've always just picked up what we had laying around the shop.

Cool thing about knurling is, you can reknurle your work piece a couple of times before you neen to shave off the NFG knurl and start over.:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I like the scissor type the best, wether hand feeding or auto feeding.

I did some pegs for Mike V that I hand fed, I think he posted them on here somewhere... Ill have to see if I can find em for ya.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here they are..

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are real nice! I've been told by a few folks that doing this with a hand-fed lathe doesn't work very good. But these show otherwise. Any pointers on how to do this? I will probably pick up the knurling tool within the next couple of weeks.

Also, what is the funtional difference between the scissor type and the regular type?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The scissor type work better when doing it by hand because you arent puttin side pressure on your tool post or the part thus making it form the pattern instead of pushing in and cutting it. The push type knurl tool, to get an even knurl all the way across (on a longer part) you have to move the tool into it if you are feeding towards the tailstock because the pressure will probably make the part move.

I use a live center on everything I knurl. Just have to make a split sleeve to hold the part to face off the extra lentgh needed without crushing the knurl.

If you have backgear on your lathe (older one, you probably do) I run the RPMs at the highest speed in backgear. go into the part with the scissor type and move whichever way you want. At the end of the move, even if the pattern isnt done, move the knurl tool off the part with out letting it dwell. Use a fine wire brush (I use the toothbrush looking things..) and clean the chips off the knurl with the lathe still spinning. Repeat the process as needed.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And one other question...what type of knurls would you use with the scissor-type tool? I have been looking in catalogs and see references to 90 deg and straight knurls. What are their different applications? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
90 degree (rings around the round part) and the straight knurl (the length of the part) are generally for press fits. Personaly I think they are junk less you are using them to make something look unique.

A very cool patter is a reverse diamond knurl. Diamonds like the above picture, but the points go into the metal instead of eing raised.

A split sleeve would be a pc of metla bored out to the size you need after knurl, add another .010 to it then split in half length ways and put some duct tape on the insed. Then you can put the 2 halves over the part and put it back into the chuck to tkae LIGHT cuts off the face to remove the center hole that you used to hold the part with thetailstock.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hey get off the computer and into the shop so I can show off more of your work
!
Mute said:
90 degree (rings around the round part) and the straight knurl (the length of the part) are generally for press fits. Personaly I think they are junk less you are using them to make something look unique.

A very cool patter is a reverse diamond knurl. Diamonds like the above picture, but the points go into the metal instead of eing raised.

A split sleeve would be a pc of metla bored out to the size you need after knurl, add another .010 to it then split in half length ways and put some duct tape on the insed. Then you can put the 2 halves over the part and put it back into the chuck to tkae LIGHT cuts off the face to remove the center hole that you used to hold the part with thetailstock.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mike V said:
Hey get off the computer and into the shop so I can show off more of your work
!
Yes Boss! lol. Got more hand sanding to do on tha large block... hopefully only another 4 hours.. lol. I really need to invest in some industrial polishing equipment..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.