Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are "lightning" timing gears? I was reading an article about a knuck drag bike and it said something about lightning gears. Are they only useable in knuckles? Are they better then other timing gears?

·
Registered
944 Posts
They had holes drilled in them to "lighten" them up.

Hank

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
people do it on all types of bikes, triumphs, etc.

from what a triumph guru told me it doesnt do a whole helluva lot if ANYthing but if your into "cool" useless stuff that only matters to you because your the only one that knows about it in the motor you built....do it. on my next motor im building im going to do it.....maybe ill do a tech on how to make a jig to do it....ive never done it but i've been building the jig in my head for a few months now! haha.

id like to see a mythbusters of this stuff, where you dyno before and after the mod to see if it budges a pubic hair.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the Knuck "lightening" cams, had more lift and duration than the stockers. Although the holes were there to reduce the rotating weight, I think they ended up as way of identifying the hotter cam. They won't work in Pans and Shovels. Also what was they hot setup in 1947, is not necessarily the hot set up now. The modern cams make more horsepower and isn't that the reason you need a hotter cam?

Ok, just reread the question. I guess the rest of the idler gears are drilled too. They would work in a pan or early shovel. I don't really know how you'd tell they were in there though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts