Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, what does everyone know about Knuckleheads here...

-How are the V-Twin Mfg. Knuckleheads? Does anyone have one?
-How about rebuilds? Suck? Worth it? Compared to new/V-Twin Mfg.?
-Is it possible to have a "reliable" Knucklehead motor?
-How about parts (aftermarket or otherwise)?
-Drive train? (primary, what trannys)
-How do they compare to Pans and Shovels for all these things?

Obviously these are aesthetically awesome looking, desirable, and pretty pricey, but what do we know about them? Just curiosity killing me. Need to know more about these motors. Let's hear it...

P.S. Accurate Engineering motors NOT included! Sweet, but way out of a realistic price range for most people on earth...
 

·
Atomic Custom
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
Ok...
I have to say that even the Vtwin Knucks are expensive and for the money you are much better off buying an accurate or FHP Knuck.
Yes, they are reliable.
If you want, email me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accurate and FHP make some rad engines, but they're also $9K to 13K! Insane money for a motorcycle engine! I could just about build a whole bike for that. However, the V-Twin Mfg. motors are like $7200. Obviously the V-Twin version is not a performance motor and is smaller C.I.s, (87ci) but if they're a strong motor, why not? Qaulity issues?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Accurate and FHP make some rad engines, but they're also $9K to 13K! Insane money for a motorcycle engine! I could just about build a whole bike for that. However, the V-Twin Mfg. motors are like $7200. Obviously the V-Twin version is not a performance motor and is smaller C.I.s, (87ci) but if they're a strong motor, why not? Qaulity issues?
I wouldnt buy a single thing from vtwin. If you have any problems with them, your gonna end up paying in the long run. Return postage is just the start from those bastards.

Accurate engines come "Ready to run". Its bolt in and go. Save the extra money, it is very well put.

-Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scorcher said:
I wouldnt buy a single thing from vtwin. If you have any problems with them, your gonna end up paying in the long run. Return postage is just the start from those bastards.

Accurate engines come "Ready to run". Its bolt in and go. Save the extra money, it is very well put.

-Jason
Okay, now that we've ruled that V-twin blows donkey... what do we think of finding an original and rebuilding/building it up? What can be done with a stock motor? Is there any hop-ups or are they better left alone as a stock rebuild? Does anyone make good aftermarket replacement parts that would improve the motor rebuilt as stock but perform better because of quality?

Another question... what do we think of knuckles vs. pans and shovels for rebuilding, performance, hop-ups, drivetrain compatibility, parts, etc.? I'm going to guess that there is more available and more that can be done to a pan or shovel, but like everything else with cool chops... no one said things were easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I ordered the knuck bobber ina box from v-twin last year for a guy, holy shit...when you open those boxes its like discovering......(insert fantasy here)
I don't think he ever put it together, so I don't know reliability but can't be any worse than original
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I have a 74ci stock Knuckle and bought it freshly rebuilt.
It was 'relatively' cheap, but didn't have a clue who rebuilt it or what was actually done. So it was a little risky, but I put 4000 miles on it and it proves to be very reliable. I don't race it, but it's no problem to go 70-80 mph with it on the highway. Starts within 5 kicks, warm or cold. I 'only' had 2 oil leaks (rocker box feeding line) since I bought it. The tins on the rocker box cover are a little sweatty though, but that's normal.

So unless you're looking for performance, there's no reason NOT to buy an original (well built) Knuckle.... but I'm a little biased... and I'm gonna ride it right now... Ha!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Knukkel said:
I have a 74ci stock Knuckle and bought it freshly rebuilt.
It was 'relatively' cheap, but didn't have a clue who rebuilt it or what was actually done. So it was a little risky, but I put 4000 miles on it and it proves to be very reliable. I don't race it, but it's no problem to go 70-80 mph with it on the highway. Starts within 5 kicks, warm or cold. I 'only' had 2 oil leaks (rocker box feeding line) since I bought it. The tins on the rocker box cover are a little sweatty though, but that's normal.

So unless you're looking for performance, there's no reason NOT to buy an original (well built) Knuckle.... but I'm a little biased... and I'm gonna ride it right now... Ha!
Knukkel,
That's the sort of feedback I was looking for. Good or bad, but honest. I'm not looking for a racer or anything like that. I'm just into a nice cruise and making some noise. Do you ride it daily? Are you running a stock type chassis or are you chopped out? Stock drive train or something else? Tell me more. Can a belt drive be adapted or is it best to just run a stock primary? How about charging and ignition? Magneto? Any problem getting parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Knukkel,
That's the sort of feedback I was looking for. Good or bad, but honest. I'm not looking for a racer or anything like that. I'm just into a nice cruise and making some noise. Do you ride it daily? Are you running a stock type chassis or are you chopped out? Stock drive train or something else? Tell me more. Can a belt drive be adapted or is it best to just run a stock primary? How about charging and ignition? Magneto? Any problem getting parts?
The entire bike is stock except an aftermarket tank and fender. I still have the original tins because one day I will probably build it back to it's original state.
- The frame is almost original, except for the side car loops and tool box bracket that the previous owner cut off.
- The drive train is standard (chain/chain) and so is the 4 speed tranny. You could easily covert to a belt drive, but why bother.
- I run the stock tankshifter with footclutch, wich is a lot easier to run than it may seem at first sight.
- Brakes are mechanical drums and the front one hardly works.
- The bike already had a 12V conversion before bought it. The ignition is still the point type with a manual advance (left handlebar grip).
- The carb is a Linkert m35 (stock... again). Simple and easy to use.
- Parts are easy to get in the Netherlands. I buy my stuff in a local shop or have the shipped to me by these guys: http://www.jwboon.nl/

I only live 4 miles away from where I work and I don't use it as the daily commuter... also it's a little too rare to let it rot away in the Dutch climate.

So I only ride it at night or in the weekend, about 3 times /week. It's really fun to ride, I always feel like I'm operating a machine rather than a bike... it makes a lot of noise and I think it looks great. What else do you want?

But... it's still 60 yr old technology and if you're looking for a bike to ride 15K miles /year, I would not go for a knuckle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good info and that bike sounds fun to ride!!

I think you about covered things. I was thinking maybe it would be cool to do something real stripped down with a paughco frame or something and an in-line springer or something with the powerplant (Knucklehead) being the focus of things. Maybe even run a girder. Lots of cast aluminum stuff for a counterbalance. Sort of as if someone were chopping something back in the 40's. I could never canabilize a stock Knuckle complete, but I think it would be fun to build something composed of parts from older bikes (american or not) and run a new frame with a Knuck power plant.

My curiosity is all hypothetical bullshit really, but I'm always thinking about new stuff and I realized I really don't know much about old HD motors and want to learn more. That's why I joined this board :)

Thanks guys! Keep this going if you have more to add and feel like sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Tony Bones said:
They can be reliable when well built but...repop. motors are GAY. Real or nothing.

I wish these damn companies would have never started this repop. thing. Dillution of cool things makes them uncool.
you don't come off sounding very smart here, you have a shovel right? any parts you will need to fix it, will come from those ***** little companys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Knukkel said:
The entire bike is stock except an aftermarket tank and fender. I still have the original tins because one day I will probably build it back to it's original state.
- The frame is almost original, except for the side car loops and tool box bracket that the previous owner cut off.
- The drive train is standard (chain/chain) and so is the 4 speed tranny. You could easily covert to a belt drive, but why bother.
- I run the stock tankshifter with footclutch, wich is a lot easier to run than it may seem at first sight.
- Brakes are mechanical drums and the front one hardly works.
- The bike already had a 12V conversion before bought it. The ignition is still the point type with a manual advance (left handlebar grip).
- The carb is a Linkert m35 (stock... again). Simple and easy to use.
- Parts are easy to get in the Netherlands. I buy my stuff in a local shop or have the shipped to me by these guys: http://www.jwboon.nl/

I only live 4 miles away from where I work and I don't use it as the daily commuter... also it's a little too rare to let it rot away in the Dutch climate.

So I only ride it at night or in the weekend, about 3 times /week. It's really fun to ride, I always feel like I'm operating a machine rather than a bike... it makes a lot of noise and I think it looks great. What else do you want?

But... it's still 60 yr old technology and if you're looking for a bike to ride 15K miles /year, I would not go for a knuckle...
i really cant add much since this statement is almost exactly my thoughts. post war knucks are cheaper & the lower ends are a bit better, pre war are much more tempermental (thinner cast cases, less webbing, etc.) & had a few oiling issues (especially 36 thru mid 37s) 6 volt works perfectly, i dont know why anyone would change to 12 volt. trannys are virtually the same from 36 to 64 & interchangable as a unit. i run chains on some of mine & belts on some. they all leak on the primarys. late big port heads breath better than early heads, 61's are smoother runing than 74's but a little less power. they are realiable if built by someone who KNOWS hot to properly build a knuck, & that is not the guy who builds blockheads at the dealership. they are very expensive to build right, but you will have problems if you take shortcuts. for timing, forget the mag, put an auto advance timer in it if you are not doing a restoration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
I hoped to do what you're saying to this one (attached), or possibly get real close with a slight bob approach. The more I think about it, and the trendier bobbers get, the closer I get to wanting to build it basically stock. We'll see if I ever get to it . . .

scootermcrad said:
All good info and that bike sounds fun to ride!!

I think you about covered things. I was thinking maybe it would be cool to do something real stripped down with a paughco frame or something and an in-line springer or something with the powerplant (Knucklehead) being the focus of things. Maybe even run a girder. Lots of cast aluminum stuff for a counterbalance. Sort of as if someone were chopping something back in the 40's. I could never canabilize a stock Knuckle complete, but I think it would be fun to build something composed of parts from older bikes (american or not) and run a new frame with a Knuck power plant.

My curiosity is all hypothetical bullshit really, but I'm always thinking about new stuff and I realized I really don't know much about old HD motors and want to learn more. That's why I joined this board :)

Thanks guys! Keep this going if you have more to add and feel like sharing.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Negative. Any knuckle (i.e., a big-inch accurate one) that would allow you to pull wheelies in first, second and third gear is cool by me. Are you making a full "period correct" chopper now or something?

I like the new S&S shovels too.

Tony Bones said:
They can be reliable when well built but...repop. motors are GAY. Real or nothing.

I wish these damn companies would have never started this repop. thing. Dillution of cool things makes them uncool.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top