Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey its been a while since a build thread of mine , heres the start of the next project . This is a True Knuckle Shovel .

Started with a Brand New Kraft tech Rigid

Started by Cutting Tank Mounts off And Adding Dyna Mid controls mounts

Added Sporty Tank Mounts

Sleeving the rear mount for suppourt of the tank

Some of the goodies for the Motor

Located a set of these for the Build

·
4,031 Posts
Knuckle-Shovel mix of shit, and Henry Abe seven-star mags. This build feels oddly familiar :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Motor Details to follow ....
if its not stock every 30 / 40 min you will need to stop for gas with a 2 gallon sporty tank

its a nice frame being tall and away from the motor - whats the carb idea

points are all china today and do not last - some are making very cool ignitions for the dist - keeping the advance in the bars or going to newvo automatic china distributor

5 speed trans is fine and evo fxr shifter workings will make the center controls work like they should what year gear box did you pick - does the plate slide or are you doing a 60s 3 bolt inner alloy - open belt ??? maybe

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.4 gallon tank should get me about 50 miles

Think I'm goin with a mag really thinking about using one if the ones that go in the gen hole

I'm goin to use either a super e or super b

It's getting a full softail set of inner and outer primary's with a shifter setup reminiscent of a 71 fx

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
2.4 gallon tank should get me about 50 miles

yep 1/2 hour of gas city driving

Think I'm goin with a mag really thinking about using one if the ones that go in the gen hole

only works if you dont use lights as the mag is ignition not power at 12 volts for a source

I'm goin to use either a super e or super b

will start with the E as it has a better choke and it has an adjustable acc pump

It's getting a full softail set of inner and outer primary's with a shifter setup reminiscent of a 71 fx
knuckel engine has two problems with that idea -

one === the front bolt pattern is WAY different and i have not seen that installed - maybe some one else has a picture i would like to see it -

two === the mid controls in the ( long type primary ) with the holes for mid controls is for shovel type 4 speed trans and you have an evo softail type 5 speed trans - they dont cross attach that i have seen AGAIN if someone has a picture - post it up

- yes FXR and the FLT units are different and are shorter and wont fit that frame amd the 5 speed you have as it wont reach

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morris Makes the mag to do it , Wico also made one back in the day for harley . Ill dig up some pics .

And are far as the shifter its gonna mount backwards on the front with linkage that reaches the arm on the 5 speed . Ill gt some pics as i work it out in the meantime heres some more pics . I just got some more goodies in now to start making decisions .

·
Banned
980 Posts
That's one of the classiest items I've seen for years. Thank you for showing such a glorious and different looking primary. Well done and I'm looking so forward to it bolted to the engine!! Thanks mate.
DB

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dug this out of the pile for thd rear hoping to locate some seals and pads for it

Now to find a kool caliper for up front

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Bummer to see OEM parts used on a build like that. S&S top end would be the way to go, and let those parts go to a real Knucklehead.....

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robbie I've advertised this stuff for trade to get s&s stuff but sorry I cant afford to keep this stuff on the shelf and buy s&s . If you want to trade I'll be more than glad to make the trade

·
Registered
977 Posts
what....no kicker conversion for the tranny?...your slippin' T.....;-).....you guys look busy as always...say hey to the crew for me....

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok its been a little bit i slowly been ticking away on this heres some more pics

Trans all Rebuilt

Gonna be Chain Drive so gearing options are unlimitied

Ran into some issues mating the motor with the 5 Speed so to clear some of the stuff in the way i have to shorten the squish pipe and invert it to flip the way it bends , this one is just mocked up gonna make the final one a little cleaner

Made a direction change on the idea for mids , ended up taking a 94-and up softail primary which is setup for forwards , and machined a hole for the mids made a plug and solid welded it up for use of Dyna Mid controls with the the oem thru tube this will give it a clean setup and look oem when its all together

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres some of the motor throughout the process of mating the cases

Overcoming the breather issue that would be there using a shovel and knuckle case

Trick little piece to help offset the clutch cable to overcome the exhaust

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Oh, I like this build a lot!

·
4,031 Posts
That's it, get a move-on... the faster this bike is on the road, the more people are going to want our wheels so we get our fifteen minutes of fame!

That trapdoor spacer is a slick item; where's that from?

-L.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts