Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed knuck uppers on pan lowers? Just wondering? Can it be done? thanks ahead Bill

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Bill,
Yes, it involves moving a head bolt. Done many times. But you will incur the wrath of the Knuckle purists so tread lightly!
Robbie

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yes you can, but you need to plug and drill the heads for the pan barells, one head bolt is off, been done before back in the day.

And putting knuck top end on a pan lower requires sone welding and drilling to the cases for the oil return........Roach.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Used to be done all the time before you could get after market knuck jugs guys would use pan jugs more around, All you had to do is drill one new hole even in to part of the old hole and thred. I just put one back to stock. Why would you need to do it today no need to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Knuckles have a different oil return from the top end being through a vacuum created in the bottom end extending up through the pushrod tubes and into the alloy housings. This vacuum then draws the oil from the bottom tins through the lines into the housings where gravity does the rest. Panheads oil returns through the barrels, Knuckleheads through the pushrod covers. There is more to it than the one offset headbolt deal, and breather valve or your top end oil wont return.

·
Registered
946 Posts
As stated its pretty involved. You could buy a knuckle for 7000 or buy a pan for 3000 and a set of knuckle heads and lifter blocks for 2500 and put another 1000 or so in machine work. You really aren't coming away ahead of the game.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The pan cyl hang over the cases lookin ugly! mine was done this way had to repair my heads. Hole drilled in knuck heads to run pan cyl actually touch the stock head bolt bore, in knuck head. repair is a royal pain in the ass. I simply purchased correct re-pop knuck cyl's. They only did this in 60-70's because parts were not avail. Why the heck anybody would wanna do it today is crazy. best Russ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts