Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started riding and while my '08 XL883 gets me down the road, it lacks....character, uniqueness. It's rather bland. So in the interest of riding something with a bit more class, what was the last year for the non-rubber mounted engined Sportster? I figure I'd start there and work my way back in time. I want a bike that shakes my fillings, one that I know is idling. That's what a bike should be.
I'm sure that this topic has been addressed previously; I was unable to find it. Thanks for your help.

XL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whiskey67 and others replying,
Thanks for the input. It has really helped and given me direction. I do like the stance of ironheads. However, for someone not mechanically inclined or gifted but badly wanting to learn, would you steer me toward or away from an ironhead? I am a hands-on learner but have no tools. That of course can be remedied. Many people that I've asked about the ironhead vs. evo, always seem to steer me towards an '86 or later. Perhaps this is because they too don't want to work on their bike and are simply passing on what they think is helpful advice. I have garage space and the desire to get my hands dirty(alot). I may have just answered my own question. Most people I talk to about this mean well, but I think they too want to ride without any fuss. Whereas, I want to ride but also wrench.
Again, many thanks to all who commented.

XL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RetroRob,
As I have been more of an HD kind of guy, what are my options in British steel? Is the Triumph platform the only one available, or are there others? I am somewhat familiar with Triumphs, but there seem to be many models out there: T120, Bonnevilles, etc. As my moniker implies, I am a big man, 6'9",and would need something of some power to move me down the asphalt. Most people I tell this to suggest a big twin or a garbage wagon to accomodate my size, but screw that. I like a minimalist bike--no windshield, bags or assorted crap.
XL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.