Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ironheads are a little rough riding bikes, but they do have class. Plus, you can pick up baskets pretty cheap, or even running ones, although, you will be spending lots of time, getting all the previous owner/mechanics juryrigs out of them. Believe me, if you get a ironhead, you will either learn to wrench, or selling it, basket style. They are pretty simple and straightforward to work on. But you can spend a pile getting them up and running, as a dependable bike. I love em. But then, I have been riding ironheads for many years, and wrench on em, mostly from memorie. A good service manual, if very necessary, if you do decide to get one. I would go for a pre 77, or better yet, pre 75. Those are the changeover years, and the only ones I would avoid, are I think, 82-84, which had the alternator behind the clutch hub. Even the early 900's are pretty dependable, and still cheap to get, as long as you are not looking for one that is restored. Go for it. Eventually, you will probably sell the evo, and opt for a real HD. Or own several.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
85 is the only alternator ironhead, 82 and later had the nipondenso starter with built in soleniod and jackshaft which is good. Your 6'9" and you want a sportster?! Get a shovelhead they shake too.
I am more knowledgeable on the older ironheads, so my mistake. Just know that the alternator models had major charging problems. The ones with no kick starters are not my favorite either, even though they did have the better electric starters. You can get the 1.4Kw starters for all the older ones too. Which make them much more reliable in the starter division. I also agree with getting a shovelhead, but they can be more expensive to buy and build, and I never tell anyone what they need to ride. If you love sportsters, you love sportsters. Me, I love all the old stuff, from shovels/ironheads back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.