Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an early 84 ironhead and im having a pinging/knock coming from what sounds like the tranny. it does it whether idiling, with the clutch pulled in, and when in gear. its not constant, maybe every 5 seconds or so and it will last maybe 2 seconds. i took the primary cover off thinking it might be the chain and its nothing in there, i was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this to help narrow down what im looking for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im not riding it its just sitting in the garage. as far as i can tell, that sounds where it is coming from. the only other option of where it could possibly be doing it is the crank, and i really hope its not that. if i get time ill pull the tranny out tonight and have a look. if not sometime this weekend. ill keep this updated, and if anybody else has any input id love to hear it!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Flatman has the right idea, sometimes you have to use a stethoscope to make sure the noise is coming from where you think it is. A screwdriver is a poor man's stethoscope. Noises can be deceiving. FGH

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Does it increase in frequency when the rpms are increased?

Use the screwdriver trick to see of it is coming off of the cam side or generator area.

No telling until you start digging.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys ill try it tomorrow when i tear into more. ill try the screwdriver trick as it is hard to determine where it is coming from. it doesnt seem to increase with rpm...thanks again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
wouldn't of thought the cam follower rollers could have been that knocked to sh*t and the motor still run, says a lot about HD's but it must of sounded like hell.

yep, I'd look at the cam and bushings an in future not adjust the push rods so tight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
WOW ! I'll bet it did make a little racket, better be looking for the rest of the bearning's that was in the roller. Can't belive that it didn't get the cam, Flush everything out and hope that a peace of that roller dose'nt end up in another bearning somewhere. Good Luck !

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
............yep, I'd look at the cam and bushings an in future not adjust the push rods so tight.
Pushrod adjustment really didn't have anything to do with it. After all, they're fully loaded anytime the valve is open.

Glad the cam is ok. I don't see how the roller can be that flat and not have hurt it.
Larry T

G

·
??.....................Migration.................. ??

............Yeah I know....Ain't Funny............

Never is when you find that there is a need for parts replacement and labor to do....

Being a 84 year model, the camchest oil drains into the flywheel case and is returned to the oil pump to be pumped back to the oil bag.....
May be a good idea to pull the pump (Geo-Roto design) for clean up and inspection....??
On that year motor the pump is easy to get off...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im gonna look through everything, thanks. i cant find an oil filter anywhere for this bike either, my friend has a 68 and had the same problem so he just bypassed it ;) but, knowing that there is going to be some shavings in there im not gonna do that!

G

·

·
Registered
380 Posts
i got a remote oil filter kit you can have buddy this way you can put a filter on it. it even comes with one. also pull your motor apart clean the whole thing and make sure everything else is nice and buttoned up for the riding season this year.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.