Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
you can get the new gears for it. half the time the problem when they skip is the clutch hub has too much play in the bearings and it cocks alittle not leting the gears engage all the way.

I have cut the teeth on the clutch hub deeper with a small cut off wheel just to help a poor guy out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yep, what Slag said.

Man, is your knee still hurting you? (mine does too;)
I know it looks gay in public, but have you tried kicking it while straddling the bike. It take a little getting used to. If your kicking it from the side you usually lean a little forward (the knee wants to mov backward when the leg is extended) and have a lot more body wieght behind you.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
345window said:
yep, what Slag said.

Man, is your knee still hurting you? (mine does too;)
I know it looks gay in public, but have you tried kicking it while straddling the bike. It take a little getting used to. If your kicking it from the side you usually lean a little forward (the knee wants to mov backward when the leg is extended) and have a lot more body wieght behind you.
yes it still hurts and Im a limper ahhah. I was kicking it while straddled when said tourque happened....Im gonna install a new kickstand tonight so maybe it wont pop up everytime I lift the bike up...then I can get back to starting on the right side

·
Registered
726 Posts
When kicking put your left knee on your seat and kick with your right leg. Don't put your weight into it so when it does slip your not crawling around on the ground.

After a while you can tell when it's going to slip. Also don't put everything you got into it...it's only 900cc's. Try kicking through the range of motion of the kciker arm...not just straight down.

If none of these work I would suggest buying some Vagasil and that should clear up the problem.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Antibilly said:
I like the knee on the seat idea...
thats what worked best for me and saved my knee many times

me weighing 165 lbs bike stroked 900cc 11.5 to 1 compression P cams and fixed magneto does not make for an easy kick

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's not the gear but the bushing that is pressed into the gear. The bushing ID will shrink slightly when pressed in. After installing the bushing it needs to be honed on a Sunden (or similar auto machine shop machine) to fit the sleel sleave @ .010-.015" clearance. This can Not be done at home with a drill and brake hone, your knee depends on this being done right. So the oversize is really about the bushing that goes in the gear and it's really an undersize. I used to run a shop in Van Nuys and we used to carry the gear/bushing/sleve already to go and sold quite a few. When properly set up the kicker is fairly relilable but be fore warned even when brand new those bikes "Kicked Thru" from time to time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your uncle was right. Years ago you could go to any bike event and tell who had a kick start Sporster by just looking at em walk. I had a couple of friends like that, They called it a "Badge of Courage", we just told them that they couldn't find anybody to buy the Mule so they could get something else! Ah the good old days..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts