Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May seem like a silly question, but is there anyone out there who kick starts their bike with their left leg? Are there any issues or tricks I should know about, so as to not over balance and fall over the bike etc?

To cut a long story short I'm recovering from an operation to repair a snapped Achilles tendon in my right leg. I saw the surgeon again today and he said when the cast comes off in 6 weeks time he's happy for me to start riding right away, but doesn't want me to attempt kick starting with that leg for at least another 2 weeks after that and after having had plenty of physio work first.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Depends on the bike I suppose ,,,but left kicked my 38 Servi-car and quite a few Brits,,not sure there is so much a "trick" more a rethink

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not sure what you are kicking but most bikes are about getting it right and not brute strength. I can hand start a cb350. I've seen guys do that with cb750s too. That's not gonna happen with a v-twin or a high comp. motor though. But a left foot kick is possible is some patience. Hope you have a fast recovery.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i've had to kick my ironhead (early, mag, high compression) lefty for a bit.
felt like masturbating the wrong way.

the biggest problem was getting enough weight on the kicker while keeping the bike on the side stand... i eventually got the hang of it, but wouldn't do it again unless i had to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've been left kicking my stoked shovel all summer after an accident resulted in a broken right ankle among other things. And when my motor gets hot, it gets tight. It was weird at first, but using the same prinicples as a normal right foot kick, you'll be fine. I've noticed I've had to use more of my body than just leg strength to get thru stroke though. And as you stated, the bike will be a bit more tippy, so be aware of the grade you are parked on and get used to leaning over the bike a bit more and trusting your kickstand.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I would think the hardest thing about kick starting a bike with your left leg would be telling you parents you're gay...:)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Remember, that if you really want to ride, and the left kick is not easily possible, you can always push start it. Helps to have a buddy to help, but at least you can ride. I have tried left hand kicking, out of curiosity a few times, but pushing seems to be more the way to go. Just makes for a real problem, if you let it shut down, in traffic, and have no room to push it. But then, so would the left legged kick.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
I would think the hardest thing about kick starting a bike with your left leg would be telling you parents you're gay...:)
...unless of course you were doing it because your right hip was junk.

I know a guy who kicks his shovel that way. Looks goofy, but gets him going. Practice.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
sheese.... it was a variation of the rollerskating joke,... what's the hardest part about rollerskating? ...telling your parents you're gay.
Ok I take it back!!! you're NOT

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Not a big deal at all. Both my knees are crap, and before I got my starting issues sorted I spent years alternating between right and left leg kicking, usually 10 kicks before the knee would crap out and I'd have to switch to the other leg. Not a problem any more, but I still do it occasionally just to keep in practice. Now I wouldn't recommend left leg kicking a pan while *straddling* it...

-Kuda (there *are* limits ya know...)
'49 panchop

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
"Now I wouldn't recommend left leg kicking a pan while *straddling* it..."

That, would make a good Youtube video. Hey Kuda, wanna show us what you mean?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I used to left foot kick my Triumph at first too. While dialing in the timing, a little kickback happened from time to time. My knees are pretty crappy too. I used to stand on the right peg with my right foot and kick with my left. If I got a kickback, I'd just quickly transfer my ALL my weight to the right foot. That was when my kickstand used to lean that thing over pretty far. I have since straightened out the stance a little and she'll tip over to the right if I try that stuff now!
Speaking of the kickstand, keep the kickstand lug in mind when starting. The less weight you put on it the better!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts