Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my bro-in-law fix up a cool '77 ironhead Sporty. When he got it the electric starter was disconnected, which isn't a problem because it kicks 2nd time always. One day we shorted across the starter solenoid just to see what happens, and the starter kicked right over. SO, he bought one of them key-operated ignition/starter switches for it and I'm gonna hook it up for him.

QUESTION - do I need to wire in a relay when I hook up this switch, or is it as simple as wiring up a momentary contact switch like I would normally do? If a relay is required, anyone got suggestions on which one and how to wire it in?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
BLAKE said:
I'm helping my bro-in-law fix up a cool '77 ironhead Sporty. When he got it the electric starter was disconnected, which isn't a problem because it kicks 2nd time always. One day we shorted across the starter solenoid just to see what happens, and the starter kicked right over. SO, he bought one of them key-operated ignition/starter switches for it and I'm gonna hook it up for him.

QUESTION - do I need to wire in a relay when I hook up this switch, or is it as simple as wiring up a momentary contact switch like I would normally do? If a relay is required, anyone got suggestions on which one and how to wire it in?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.
Are you talking about the universal type ignition switch for a car? I've hooked up several of them on scooters. Always ran straight from the switch to the solenoid. Never had any problem with them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry T said:
Are you talking about the universal type ignition switch for a car? I've hooked up several of them on scooters. Always ran straight from the switch to the solenoid. Never had any problem with them.
Yeah - that's what I thought, and also confirmed with some other guys offline - wiring it up without a relay should be fine. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts