Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been on my mind ever since I read Goose's story on FUCK! about his pre-unit getting ripped off...

What are you guys using for wheel locks and ignition locks or any locks for that matter? Obviously, if someone wants it bad enough they're going to take it, but just to keep an honest man honest, what's everyone using? Since I have my gay disc brake I'm thinking of getting a disc lock just to make it a bitch to roll away. I'm sort of concerned about the ignition though. I have a magneto and no battery. You don't need a key to start the bike, but you need one to turn on the lights (weird, I know). I've been thinking of putting just an on/off mini key switch on my magneto kill wire. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have a toggle switch for the ignition hidden under the gas tank, you wouldnt easily see it if you didnt know it was there, and i can blindly hit it easily now by simply reaching under when i need to kill the bike.

i use the disc lock when i ride to work (downtown, seedy part of town). its just a bitch remembering that its on there when i go to leave. works well enough.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hidden key switches or toggle switches are pretty much useless for mags. All you have to do is snip the ground wire, and PRESTO!

The mag body key switch, or a barrel switch in the cap aren't much better. Another cap, or a screwdriver driven into the key switch is all you need......

The thing with a thief is, you want to slow them down, and make them look elsewhere. If a thief is just "looking" to boost something, they'll take the bike they can get the fastest. I know for a fact (because it's visually obvious to me, and if it's obvious to me, it's DEFINATELY obvious to a thief) that at events like Sturgis, Daytona, Laughlin, etc. that in any given large group of bikes, at least half the people park their bike, and walk off leaving their keys in the ignition, or if they do take the keys, they don't LOCK the ignition when they do!

Unless you like riding around with enough length of cable or chain to secure your bike to something solid, or securing 3-4 bikes together, about the best you can do is use a disc lock or sprocket lock that's covered in a really gaudy vynal covering so a thief can SEE you have the wheels locked. That's usually enough visually to have them make a "pass" on your bike, and send them looking elsewhere. The lock, and a close eye USUALLY works.

But, like you said, if they want it, they have it. There aren't a lot of chains and cables sold for "security" that hold up to a 5' pair of bolt cutters and a can of freon. Or, just pushing your bike over into a van, or a low sided trailer onto a matress and driving off to unlock your bike later.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
I have a 6 foot bike cable that I use to lock it to a water pipe on the side of the building when I'm at work . It is pretty flexable and I can roll it up around the headlight when i am on the groove . Of course like Rich says if someone wants it , those 5' bolt cutters will handle the lock in a snip .

Of course attaching it to the building keeps the casual grab & dash bike thieves from tossing it into a van . . . but parking it where I can see it for the most part and a handy Glock 9 mm , along with good insurance keeps my bike fairly safe .

·
Registered
307 Posts
I say ride it into the building, give your boss the go to hell look and prop your feet up on it all day. Then you will always know where it's at!

If that's not possible , get a scarecrow that looks like you.

My 2cents....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points Rich. Thanks for chiming in on this one.

I agree that it's the "grab and dash" people you want to deturr. We've got some pretty ballsy thieves in Vegas. I get nervous about leaving my bike parked on the sidewalk in front of a bar. I agree that some bright and flashy lock system would at least make them think about more. I think the best is probably even just to keep it where it's not accessable and very visible. It's less likely to get ripped off if it's far enough away from where a truck or van can get to it, and if it can't be rolled to a get-away truck then that's even better. It's going to be pretty obvious and cumbersom if three or four guys are carrying off a bike.

I bought the extra insurance too. If it gets gangked then I'm going to at least get SOMETHING in return!

Thieves suck!
Irish Rich said:
Hidden key switches or toggle switches are pretty much useless for mags. All you have to do is snip the ground wire, and PRESTO!

The mag body key switch, or a barrel switch in the cap aren't much better. Another cap, or a screwdriver driven into the key switch is all you need......

The thing with a thief is, you want to slow them down, and make them look elsewhere. If a thief is just "looking" to boost something, they'll take the bike they can get the fastest. I know for a fact (because it's visually obvious to me, and if it's obvious to me, it's DEFINATELY obvious to a thief) that at events like Sturgis, Daytona, Laughlin, etc. that in any given large group of bikes, at least half the people park their bike, and walk off leaving their keys in the ignition, or if they do take the keys, they don't LOCK the ignition when they do!

Unless you like riding around with enough length of cable or chain to secure your bike to something solid, or securing 3-4 bikes together, about the best you can do is use a disc lock or sprocket lock that's covered in a really gaudy vynal covering so a thief can SEE you have the wheels locked. That's usually enough visually to have them make a "pass" on your bike, and send them looking elsewhere. The lock, and a close eye USUALLY works.

But, like you said, if they want it, they have it. There aren't a lot of chains and cables sold for "security" that hold up to a 5' pair of bolt cutters and a can of freon. Or, just pushing your bike over into a van, or a low sided trailer onto a matress and driving off to unlock your bike later.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
transport chain and a big ass lock is a decent deterrent and alot less expensive than kryptonite products...other than that just try to use common sense and go with your gut; if it doesn't feel right dont park it there

·
Registered
504 Posts
you should really put a key ignition switch on it somewhere, that way you can turn the key to different positions and turn lights on and off and they can't steal it.. well, maybe they still can.

it's worth it man. makes the bike more sellable to if you ever have to sell it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Locks and Chains only keep honest people honest.:eek:

If a theif is a theif and wants it its as good as gone and if they see it more than once they will figure a way to get it from you no matter if its locked up like a gold bar at fort knox.
How do ya tell a dead theif in the road verses a did snake........There are skid marks in front of the snake.....:D

Shoe

·
Registered
349 Posts
If they want it they will get it!!

I lost I bike in Omaha NE, I hate that place,Long story but really sucks to get ripped off!!:( :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine won't start without using the special trick only I know(cause it's so far out of tune you can crank till the batterys dead and it won't fire unless you work the gas and choke just right)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ignition- and Disclock. At nights, whenever possible, in a locked garage.

People over here don´t care about anything than thier own shit. Nobody would even wonder if four guys would carry a bike at noon to a trailer or truck with east russian licenceplates.:D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I never really thought that bike thieves started the bikes and rode them off. That's what's always kept my from putting a key switch on. Most home built bikes (old ones at least) require the owner to know just how it likes to be started (fuel on, prime kicks, pedal position, throttle position, choke/enrichener postion, etc). The uninitiated will probably have a tough time getting a kick start bike he didn't build running.

All the bike thefts I've heard of here in NYC (quite a few over the years) have been of the pick-it-up and throw it in the truck variety. At least the ones where there were witnesses.

The only remedies I see are:

- Keep it close.
- Don't leave it anywhere too long.
- Take different paths home all the time (I live in an industrial part of Brooklyn with alot of chop shops that WILL follow people to determine patterns and schedules)
- Park it next to the window at motels on the road and sleep with an ear open
- always be ready to do what you've got to do should you catch it in progress (visualize and commit to memory the two or three decisive moves you will make INSTANTLY upon encountering someone taking it - don't give them a chance to think or react)
- insurance

Sadly, I live in the Lefty center of the universe where there's just about no chance Hillary's gonna let you protect your own property or own a gun.

I've been lucky so far.

jason

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use a disc lock and lock my ignition. I don't think that will stop them just slow them down. I always keep an eye on my bike in almost a paranoid fashion. I figure two things are gonna happen. Its gonna slow them down enough for me to get out there and beat them down or shoot them in the balls with what ever toy i happen to be carrying that day. If they get past the locks, I still have time to watch them try to kick start my very picky motor :D . No electric start for me!

As for forgeting to unlock the disc lock i always lock the ignition to reminded me to unlock the disc. They do make "rip" cords that attach to your throttle to remind you to take it off if your forgetful. I wrecked a lot of lower legs in my days! They are also in very bright colors so bad people can see that there is a lock/cord on them!

·
Registered
773 Posts
JasonMcElroy said:
The only remedies I see are:

- Keep it close.
- Don't leave it anywhere too long.
- Take different paths home all the time (I live in an industrial part of Brooklyn with alot of chop shops that WILL follow people to determine patterns and schedules)
- Park it next to the window at motels on the road and sleep with an ear open
- always be ready to do what you've got to do should you catch it in progress (visualize and commit to memory the two or three decisive moves you will make INSTANTLY upon encountering someone taking it - don't give them a chance to think or react)
- insurance

jason
Jason,
I dig the fact that you, as an engineer, and a thorough (some might say anal!) mechanic, are able to clearly translate your planning skills for any situation...including kicking someones ass.
Bitchin.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.