Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont understand how someone can shamelessly ride that and think its cool?

I mean, you ask the same person if they would drive a car around that had all sorts of wacky spikes/shapes on it and they'll say no. So, why ride/build a bike that looks like that?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and stir a pot of shit thats probably not ready to be stirred.

first...i dont like it. its not my taste.

second.... do you think people said the same thing about this when it was built? (some of you probably know what people were saying when this was built..id love to hear your comments on how "newer" ideas we accepted back in the day like Roth's cars...)

not that im comparing the two...

its a show bike, it has "different" (albiet ugly in my taste) qualities.

to make myself cool again id like to go on the record and say i dont like that bike....ok, im cool again.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm starting to practice my New Year's resolution, which is to accept that people with bad taste are allowed to live (or something like that), so I'm trying to be nice when I say that bike leaves an impression.
Its not a GOOD impression but it leaves one just the same.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What it comes down to is actually lack of imagination (Yes I said it and I stand by it). Stuff like that looks awesome in Japanimation films/shows like Akira, or Lensman, or whatever. But like my pops always said, "In real Life, things don't go that way." Problem is all these blokes saw stuff like this when they were kids or such and it engrained in their skulls. They thought, I'll be original, when all along it was already a pre-set thought in the back of their domes. And if we have learned one thing from Wiley Coyote its that the cartoon world and real world don't work by the same rules. Leave that stuff to marker boards and film cells, not the road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is going to show my nerd-ness but I like it. It reminds me of something from Starwars and I am a product of the 70's. It is just different, maybe I like the color? Although it needs a different seat. Hell if I owned that bike I would buy a suit of black armor and carry a sword! Well maybe not, it is kinda neat though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
caffeine said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and stir a pot of shit thats probably not ready to be stirred.

second.... do you think people said the same thing about this when it was built? (some of you probably know what people were saying when this was built..id love to hear your comments on how "newer" ideas we accepted back in the day like Roth's cars...)

to make myself cool again id like to go on the record and say i dont like that bike....ok, im cool again.

-Rob
I see where your coming from, and its a really good point. But I think there is something that should be addressed. Motivation - like all things - is the key. Finch, Roth, etc. their motivation above all else was simply bizarreness and for themselves. Its like sculpture. You have Stanislav Szulkalski, absolutely mesmerizing abstract scupltor. Amazing interpretation and functionary shaping, real originality. Yes, much of his stuff is bizarre, much of it is unappealing to the masses, but it is beautiful. He did it for no one else but himself. Though he is considered innovative, he did it not for the sake of motivation. Same with Roth, Same with Finch (because I think he fits in this). But a lot iof the "extreme" builders, have a different approach. Like contrary to Szulkalski are modern conceptual scupltors. They don't do anything for the sake of self expression or engratualization, or self improvement. The do it for the "innovation" of thought, supposedly. And in the end it comes out confusing, lacking purpose, lacking mark of self involvement, and becomes easily forgotten. Same with these types of builds. It brings together different materials from other arenas with no sense or self involvement. And will be forgotten in a day or two. All because of motivation for its conception and prupose.

·
Registered
102 Posts
caffeine said:
Back in the day was almost 40 years ago. 40 years ago the visual world that surrounded us was not as refined as it is now. So the " out there" designs were welcomed and enjoyed because of their impact. We really didn't care if they were over the top.

As for the bike, it reminds me of those bikes in the old "Tron" movie. The first of the Hi tech/cad type bike concepts. All in all pretty Cool for a hi tech art piece. My only criticism is too bad the front wheel and forks are so massive looking. Makes the bars and section of the body that the forks go through spindly looking.

Anyone know how the 3d files were translated into the actual parts?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just because you might appreciate something later that appears ugly to you today doesn't mean you have to be circumspect about it. In other words, sure, in 20 years I might thing "gee, that abortion that looked like a yamaha scooter with sidecovers looks pretty cool in retrospect," but why even worry about it? If I had to keep a mental inventory of all the things I found retarded now just so I could appreciate them later, I would need a diuretic for the brain.

Come on. That thing is fucking STUPID. It doesn't look fun to ride, or exciting, or aesthetically balanced, or hand crafted, or scary. It looks like it got shit out of a bubblegum dispenser. How will that change in twenty, thirty or fifty years? I'm all for being open minded about appreciating shit different from what I like, but there has GOT to be some objective standard out there that says that thing is a steaming dookie pile.

caffeine said:

-Rob

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I don't care who made either of the two. They're both butt-fucking-ugly. I still admire the work that went into them, though.

caffeine said:

-Rob

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's supposed to be art and a motorcycle at the same time.Another artist's attempt to recreate the motorcycle.This bike is another example of being outside the envelope.It's not a machine capable of cruising the highways but something destined to sit in a gallery like the rest of the show only attractions.That's fine with me as long as it's not confused with functional bikes. Intresting to look at. -Strat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
like it or not the craftsman ship is to be appreciated.
i dont like it myself but i sure like it when something is almost all handmade and appears to be made very well.
i dont care how ugly it is. If your gonna make it, make it right.

im a sucker for good craftsmanship. I still dont like people to look at the rib i put in my tank because its notup to my standard...and i made it.

this bike is kinda gross but im sure we would all stare at it for a long time looking at the details and figuring out how he made it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Most of roths cars were fuckin genious untill he got into the motorized wagons and the car he made after the beatnik bandit 2 he didnt even paint that thing himself. that bike is ass ugly though. The machining and welding that went into that must have been insane

1 - 20 of 29 Posts