Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1929 BSA Sloper.... Mostly there it seems but also mostly in boxes....

The bottom end is still together but should be taken apart and checked out. May or may not have the right piston... Everything but the fenders have been plated , painted or otherwise cleaned up... Still have to get the bike and boxes out of the basement and stay on him about the title but its paid for , so its mine. Probably try to make it look like a 1929 motorcycle but I dont plan to do a full restoration... But that could change

Here it is the last time it was semi together.

And the BSA advertisment of a complete bike

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yow.

Wade, you seem like a fella who needs to own my hoard of c. 500 issues of Classic Bike and The Classic Motor Cycle magazines, '80s through about 2016.

But then you also seem like a guy who has the exact same hoard, except more complete and in better condition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yow.

Wade, you seem like a fella who needs to own my hoard of c. 500 issues of Classic Bike and The Classic Motor Cycle magazines, '80s through about 2016.

But then you also seem like a guy who has the exact same hoard, except more complete and in better condition.
Funny you say that... I wrote a story for classic bike back in 2010 and started buying the issues of both of those magazines intermittently for a while... Ill bet your selection has more articles pertaining to my taste in motorcycles then the new ones... Shipping would be a killer from San Fran !

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
In those magazines' early times, there was much more editorial interest in *old* old bikes -- not simply bikes which, by virtue of being 25 years old, were recognized as some kind of "vintage" by the Vintage Motor Cycle Club. (At around the time of the shift in focus, maybe early '90s?, this latter group included, e.g., the first Kawasaki Ninja, stuff like that.)

:Ahem: But anyways, I meant to say before I sidetracked myself that among those earlier issues of the magazines, the Sloper was mentioned regularly and always positively. I guess they're good to ride and difficult to kill.

Nowadays the mags seem about 80% aimed at an audience of collectors. With occasional enjoyably techy exceptions, the emphasis is on appearance, rarity (bragging rights), and cash value. ... OK, OK. I am shutting up now. Sorry to clog up your Sloper revivification thread, if that's what this is going to be (and I sure hope it is).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For Sure Ratso. I need to collect the boxes of bits as soon as the snow clears.. The whole thing is buried in a basement in Brooklyn. Cant wait to lay it all out in the garage and see whats there. more importantly whats not there... From what I could see in the boxes it looks like most of it is present... The challenge might be get my head around the pre Depression technology .... Should be fun to build and to ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked it up in the spring.... Lucky we had extra help getting it up the basement stairs. That frame is heavy...

Put the girder forks back on once it was on the ground level... and now the fun begins... I will layout all the parts and see what is missing...
After contacting the BSA owners club in England I did find out the it is indeed a 1931 matching numbers BSA. Dispatched to Valparaíso, Chile December 5 1931

Seems that a previous owner had started a restoration tank and other things already painted and nickel plated. that will save me some time and money.

build thread number one - WM20 1943 WM20
build thread #2 1958 B33 1958 B33
Just what I need Another project 1931 Sloper
1956 Alloy Clipper project 1956 Alloy Clipper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts