Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My name is Greg, I am 28 from the North Georgia Area and today I started my first basket case, or became one not sure which yet....

I have been around bikes my whole life riding with dad etc. Some parents drive their kids around in a soccer mom van to get them to fall asleep, my dad rode me around on whichever two wheeled trinket he had at the time to get me to fall asleep, with no helmet. Im sure DOT would love to hear that...

I started racing MX at 15 then during college years, would putt around on dads bikes hear and there.

after college I got a 84 Honda Magna, Purple, in perfect condition, that lasted about a month. Having ridin' dad's 2002 Switchblade wide glide, a magna was a fun toy, but not the substance I wanted.

Ended up with my dad's best friends wide glide, evo motor with a stage 2 kit I think, Chrome everything....BITCHIN bike, but he wanted first right of refusal when i sold it so i could never really make it "mine". Sold the wide glide when my little girl was on the way shes 3 now. 18 months later we had a healthy little boy, Tripp, who died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome when he was only 2 months old, 20 months later we now have another 4 month old boy Brady who just picked up his first Harley shirt this weekend at the South Orlando HD.

Now after the whirlwind last 3 years I am settling into the "dad" role and needing some serious therapy, so I bought a Basket Case 74 Iron Head. Nothing like a rusted ass basket case for a therapist.......skin't my first knuckles on her tonight rusty as hell but everything I have pulled off has cooperated surprisingly well....

As I mentioned, this is as much a therapy project as a build...I am a workaholic and hurry, hurry, hurry, bull in a china shop type,,,but when I am working on this thing i take my time, matter of fact i took a nut off today with a impact, it felt so wrong....just wrong...so i went back to wrenches, screwdrivers and expletives.

Please pardon my stupid questions as I am extremely green when I comes to internals, I can do cosmetics all day, as can anyone, but the engine tranny clutches and electric stuff i am lost on.....feel free give me hell about said dumb questions, but do me a favor and answer my question right after the dumb but before the ass.

Cheers
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks good man! I am also new here. I know exactly what you mean by building a basket case for therapy. I am 29 and have been a father for six years. But I have have been wrenching since early teen years. Take your time and try to do it right the first time. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update & Help if you can

Hello all,

I wanted to give an update and ask some help! Let me know if I should post this in another thread, I am a posting rookie and have looked around but cant find anything so if you have a recommendation as to where I should post its much appreciated

Below are some photos of the first three sessions mostly disassembly.

The pics go in order Day One was removing the oil tank and battery box, then I started picking through the basket and decided to clean the clutch. I wish I would have taken more pictures of the clutch, it was rusted together, you can tell with some of the plate pics.

Day Two pulled the motor out of the frame, heavy by myself then pulled the heads of and the engine case. I was thrilled to see everything looking like I think it should, the piston heads had some build up which didn't out of the norm.

Day Three I called a local sandblasting company and they are going to blast my frame and tank for 75 bucks or so so my goal was to get the frame ready for blasting.

This is where I need some help. I cant get the triple tree off, I have taken off ever bolt that seems to be holing it down, i have the manual and have looked through it but to no avail any advice?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no i have not got the tree off yet... I have kinda put things on a 12 hours hold to re-organize the garage, I have been working on that today. I currently looks like a bomb went off so I took some trash wood from work and i built a bar high work bench to work on the engine and everything there around it, and I have made some shelves available to hold the parts that are worth keeping....Ill copy all of this and get it over to the board with my next post

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.