Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to chop me down, but for years I have been a bike lover without knowing how to drive, no group I ride with, and no expertise on the subject.
But I don't want to be some stupid wannabe wearing biker shirts and getting tats, it seems wrong.

At 32 (yes I don't mind if I state my age) I want to learn to ride, and learn to build bikes and know it will take time - without sounding like a complete douche canoe - where do I start?

(really want a shirt and a boss addition to my existing tat)

Ahem - now you may say anything I feel better getting this off my chest.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I stated late as well.....I just jumped into it....found a bike I could afford and got it and rode it a little at a time until if felt right, then started learning about that bike specifically and started to update/change/fix as you go....the good thing these days is there is a wealth of info on the web, so your never really alone with any problem.....but like I said first step is to just jump.....there will be times that once you jump you want to go back, and forget it.....but just wait out any spur of the moment decision on giving it up for at least 2 days....that usually allows the frustration of being a newb to subside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
with a yamaha / honda twin around 400 cc, buy one that runs ok so you dont give up so easily if you buy a project, and then start asking questions!

Where do you live? maybe someone in your area can help

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I take classes? Or is it like riding a bad ass bike? Because I sure know how to ride a bike.

I live in Colorado, I'd love to find someone who would help - let me hang out at their shop, help me learn to ride, hell even make new friends. I figure a few Coloradans are here

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same here. I've always wanted a bike since I was ten. I had to wait until I was 32 to get one - 43 now. I took the MSC both basic and advanced classes and just rode. I learned a little at a time on how to maintain and work on my bike. Now I'm moving into the fabrication phase. I don't care to much about image and wear all my gear all the time. I need to be extra careful since I live in a very densely populated area.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dude nothing wrong with not riding and wanting to! I rode until I was about 21-22 motorcross stuff, 4 wheelers, some street bike. I came home from the service had no money and didn't ride again for about 6-7 years after. Not that I didn't want to but family, school, work kept me from it. Now i got remarried, and my wife is cool with it, a few years back I got back into it. Here is my advice:
get your temp
pick up a good street bike
(sporty, cb750)
get riding
take a class or get your liscense
find a basket case get chopping!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude nothing wrong with not riding and wanting to! I rode until I was about 21-22 motorcross stuff, 4 wheelers, some street bike. I came home from the service had no money and didn't ride again for about 6-7 years after. Not that I didn't want to but family, school, work kept me from it. Now i got remarried, and my wife is cool with it, a few years back I got back into it. Here is my advice:
get your temp
pick up a good street bike
(sporty, cb750)
get riding
take a class or get your liscense
find a basket case get chopping!
Great point! Right now financially I don't want to just jump out there and buy a bike, but it is really validating to know there are others out there like me. In fact good thing I found this board, now when I'm ready to buy my first bike I can tap into your minds.
Maybe waiting is best too, right now there aren't any shops hiring or needing apprentices.

Thank you all

·
Registered
788 Posts
You gotta start somewhere. My fiance has only been on a bike a few times and im teaching her the mechanics of it while we build my shovelhead. After she takes the self defense riding course and can kick the shovel over, I'm starting a panhead. If she doesn't get that far and doesnt want to ride, we'll enjoy the build together and ride on what we built.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You gotta start somewhere. My fiance has only been on a bike a few times and im teaching her the mechanics of it while we build my shovelhead. After she takes the self defense riding course and can kick the shovel over, I'm starting a panhead. If she doesn't get that far and doesnt want to ride, we'll enjoy the build together and ride on what we built.
You're right, and I'm sure she knows, but she's a very lucky wife!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Feel free to chop me down, but for years I have been a bike lover without knowing how to drive, no group I ride with, and no expertise on the subject.
But I don't want to be some stupid wannabe wearing biker shirts and getting tats, it seems wrong.

At 32 (yes I don't mind if I state my age) I want to learn to ride, and learn to build bikes and know it will take time - without sounding like a complete douche canoe - where do I start?

(really want a shirt and a boss addition to my existing tat)

Ahem - now you may say anything I feel better getting this off my chest.
I would advise you to start with a small dirt bike, and take an off-road riding course. There you will learn how to actually ride, without killing yourself on the street. No, not everyone does this, but knowing how a motorcycle responds when traction has been lost, and knowing what will save the situation, and what will dump you on your butt without killing you by knowing when and how to get off, and when to use the throttle instead of the brakes, is invaluable. You WILL fall down. Better to learn this in the soft dirt with protective gear. Once you're a reasonably competent trail rider, you can then get yourself a small street bike like a 500. Asphalt is very painful.

·
Registered
935 Posts
put some baseball cards on youre bicycle so they flap against the spokes,also wear a bandana and boots ,then become a prospect for a local club.before you know it you will be a badass too

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would advise you to start with a small dirt bike, and take an off-road riding course. There you will learn how to actually ride, without killing yourself on the street. No, not everyone does this, but knowing how a motorcycle responds when traction has been lost, and knowing what will save the situation, and what will dump you on your butt without killing you by knowing when and how to get off, and when to use the throttle instead of the brakes, is invaluable. You WILL fall down. Better to learn this in the soft dirt with protective gear. Once you're a reasonably competent trail rider, you can then get yourself a small street bike like a 500. Asphalt is very painful.
You couldn't be more right JF, after viewing an episode of Trauma where a man lost his legs and one of his arms after wrecking out, and actor Liam Neeson's near fatal crash I am very aware of the dangerous side of motorcycles. Also a reason I know my family will advise me against it.

I'm not in a hurry, starting smart will save me more medical bills later :)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
+2 on the off road. It is easier to really see what a bike does. Experimentation on the road will get you tickets. Hd has lessons at any sales center . The dmv can put you in touch with classes i think. I always tell people if your the least bit apprehensive and not excellent under pressure maybe its not for you cause you need to make decisions that may save your ass. Let me rephrase, you will have too at some point. Actually its easy but i learned very early.

I

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Dinah, props for being honest, that will get ya far in life.
Ok, here is my sugestions; 1 Take a beginners rider course (I have been riding since I was 6 and you would not bealive how much I learned, money well spent). 2 Buy yourself a mid size dependible metric cruzer, they are cheep used and when ya drop it--- so what, thats why ya bought a used metric cruzer. 3 Ride the wheels off of it, ya cant buy seat time. 4 Don't get into a hurry finding friends to ride with, in other words, pick your friends, don't let them pick you. And the most important thing is to have fun, enjoy yourself and try not to get killed, the rest will just happen. D.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dinah, don't sweat it. Just please do me a favor and don't be on here 18 months from now bitchin' about the "dumbass fucking noobs that have no clue what things were like 'in the old days'."

Not that I think you would do such a thing, but many have. Or did. A lot of those piss-drinkers are no longer here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dinah, props for being honest, that will get ya far in life ...
Thanks, it's not easy, but my disdain for poseurs especially biker poseurs makes me honest to a fault.

Also I've received some basics to start off with, cheap bike, soft practice and classes all of which are available to me, there are some great dirt bike courses next to Bandimere which is a short trip from here.

now for the next phase - action.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dinah, don't sweat it. Just please do me a favor and don't be on here 18 months from now bitchin' about the "dumbass fucking noobs that have no clue what things were like 'in the old days'."

Not that I think you would do such a thing, but many have. Or did. A lot of those piss-drinkers are no longer here.
haha oh shit if I do that I hope something unpleasant happens to me, like a large onion falls on my head. People like that have serious Napoleonic issues and no matter how many bikes they own, or HD shirts they will remain losers.

I promise I won't become said person ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I learned to ride at the track near bandimere. There used to be an area for beginners and just putting around. I dont know if its still there, checking out the website it has no mention of it.

Get a med sized enduro, and spend as much dirt time as possible like said above. then you can still ride everywhere.

I used to crash my dirtbike everytime I went out. (and still do, when I get on one.) Its part of learning, and hopefully you dont get hurt too bad.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.