Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello..see a lot of familiar names from other boards but for those I don't know..I started teaching high school metal shop here in MN about 10 years ago. After threats of budget cuts and the "suits" way of thinking that every kid should go to college and the hands on courses are a waste..I new I needed to do something in class to make an impression. I began incorporating my bike building/riding into my metals shop classes around 2001 with an old 52 K-model basket morphed with a 57 ironhead motor. Then a year later we built a 1957 panhead basket with support from Indian Larry and Paul Cox, Chopper Underground ran a feature on us and then the Horse magazine featured that build in the Indian Larry Tribute issue (Dec 2004) RIP Larry, I started to get the interest of the industry. The folowing year we had all the local motorcycle shops and publications and some of the big names nationwide following and promoting us as we went on a fund raising mission of building bikes from donated parts and then selling them to support the classes..this allowed us a "get out of jail free card" when the budget cuts again got worse and the shop would have been shut down due to lack of money to run them. This year we again have a build going on from donated parts and this bike looks to be the best yet, we also have a second school here in MN building one and we are doing a shop class build off to be judged at the Donnie Smith Invitational show this March. My goal is to promote this and hope to see schools across the country get similar projects going to preserve the hands on courses. This looks like a great board..nice to meet you all.
Kevin "TEACH" Baas

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Welcome aboard Teach!

I read that article in the Horse and really was impressed with what you do.
Sort of made me wish I paid more attention in school myself.
It blows my mind that schools have to deal with budget cuts on a regular basis while the country wastes money left & right and drop outs & lunk heads get paid bazillions to play sports .....but I won't rant.

Anyhow...its good to have you here.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome Teach! My wife is a high school english teacher and we know all about budget cuts, but God knows the football team needs all the money it can get:rolleyes: I remember reading your article in the Horse and think what you are doing is great! I'm thinking of changing my "career" and go back to school to become a teacher. I like to work real hard and be under apreciated and under payed. Again welcome, Gregg

·
Registered
317 Posts
From one Shop teacher to another, welcome:D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all...It has been great seeing all the support for what we are doing..I have tried many things but this is the first type of project that has the students wanting to come to school early and stay late..it's cool to see the passion they all have developed for the project. Here is a link to a video clip S&S shot of us and has on us on their website, click on the Kennedy High School video to see us in class:

http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/video.php

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome! I wish I was back in school just so I could take that class!
TEACH said:
Thanks all...It has been great seeing all the support for what we are doing..I have tried many things but this is the first type of project that has the students wanting to come to school early and stay late..it's cool to see the passion they all have developed for the project. Here is a link to a video clip S&S shot of us and has on us on their website, click on the Kennedy High School video to see us in class:

http://www.sscycle.com/iframes/video.php

·
Registered
936 Posts
Welcome Kevin. Doing a damn good job.

I tell you whats funny. January I'm heading back to college after 8 years out. I signed up for the Mechanical Engineering Technologies program at Penn State. The funny part - the program is developed as a more hands on approach to mechanical engineering with side focus to associated electronics engineering. Developed to accustom to changing engineering market. What's that mean? - apparently what the "suits" see as a step forward to cutting hands-on classes is actually a step backwards.
How come adminstrators are so willing to cut classes but never cut sports programs or cost there of. I thought school was about learning to live in the world, not avoid it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
very cool, I also teach shop (its called Exploring Technology here in our junior high) I would like to bounce some ideas off you other shop teachers from time to time if you dont mind??

the Pair-A-Dice logo in my avatar actually originated couple years ago a shop project - its the name we gave our shop class that was building a go-cart at the time. Been trying to find a cheap tube bender so we can build a mini-chopper project we have sitting on the back burner, have the frame jig built but need a way to bend our tubing...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

TEACH ..

big ol Howdy Kevin .. aka "the BaasMaster" ..

and Welcome ..

great to see ya here, great bunch of gearheads here, they like pics too, so if you got yours hosted to your site or somethin like imageshack, have at it ..

& dont forget me when you get into that Triumph..

pm or e from here, it's the same e I left @ Terry's ..

and no matter what Barry would have you believe I have lotsa pan stuff still ..
holler if you're needin' ..

later -

Doug ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
866 Posts
actually got up to -6 today, warm enough the kids and I could bundle up and go outside to walk to the shop :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh ya and here are my bikes:
The ironhead

The 57 Pan

And this years x-mas present.
67 Trump

http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/4620triumph_3-med.JPG[/img
[img]http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/4620trump_mag-med.JPG

·
Registered
845 Posts
Welcome man. The world needs more shop teachers or just teachers in general like you, what an incredible difference it makes even when you don't know it. The article in the ChopperUnderground is where I heard of your class first. Awesome job.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would have killed to have got some hands-on educating AT school when I got my Mech. Eng. degree! I did three independent studies and three internships to get hands-on experience in the real world. They refused to teach that IN school for some reason and had to seek my own help, but cars and motorcycles helped of course. :D First point I'm trying to make is that, Scratch, I'm jealous you're getting what you're paying for at school....;) and second point I'm trying to make is that hands-on is SOOO important for a REAL education in my opinion!! What you're doing is great Kevin and I wish I could have had that experience in High School! Keep up the great work shaping young minds and ultimately lives....

Welcome to the board!
ol_scratch said:
I tell you whats funny. January I'm heading back to college after 8 years out. I signed up for the Mechanical Engineering Technologies program at Penn State. The funny part - the program is developed as a more hands on approach to mechanical engineering with side focus to associated electronics engineering.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts