Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who dont know I bought a some what complete 68 Sporty xlch from my neighbor who had it for 14 years and never did a damn thing with it. Then one day while over there changing her oil, I spotted it and it went from there.

After going through a few crates of parts I had almost everything needed.

some magneto problems and valve adjustments is really all it needed fixed

well after several delays (non sporty related) I fired it up successfully for the first time last night. I am very surprised no one called the cops because of the rapid backfires. they were pretty bad. we started it 4 times between 11:00 p.m and 1:00 A.M. testing what it could be each time.
after the fourth time I checked out the carb and it seems from sitting out in this dry climate, the o-rings on the back of the carb and the spacer have cracked pretty bad.
Could this cause some serious backfire on both cylinders and the occasional fire out the carb?
I am getting new o-rings once the stores open so for now my neighbors can sleep

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
A bike that has sat that long should have the carb disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. Also clean the gastank. I have been using a frydaddy and simple green to boil carbs...works pretty good. Make sure the mag is timed right also.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am good on the gas tank and the carb wasnt with the bike.
I picked up a super E of another Jockey.
it came of his 900 sportster and on to mine (eventually)
I just left it sit in my tool box for a couple months or so and it cracked the o-rings

I am just using a gas can with a fitting in it for now, since I havent cleaned the tank

ya it sure seems like an Ironhead world on here
but I see Triumphs are getting a lot of threads about them, which is good.
I guess I gotta start lookin for a trump to stay cool, or get cool.
I will just jump to the next hot journal ticket and go get a 59 bmw I have my eye on.

my taste changes as my wallet size changes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts