Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at the latest find.....
Bought this from an old friend of mine recently.
1946 "fAMOUS JAMES",Military model....just what you see here no motor[it had a 125CC Villiers 2 stroke 3 speed originally]
A British bike I understand....finally I may fit:cool: in here -Ha.
thought I would resell it ,but now I am sorta liking it,so .....:rolleyes:
I have a small Military surplus single engine that is[ NOS]........
I only have a 3 block commute to my shop....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Is that a truck cab light on the front fender?Seriously, though it is a cool little bike.Dont know if it would fit but a souped up blast motor would be cool in it.hhhmmmm,A blast is my daily ride, are you sure you don't want to sell it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOPE-ACTUAL KID i SAW HIM MOVE.....

I do not have a rear fender so sorta leaning towards having no frt fender either...
that girder is what attracted me to this little scoot-remided me of the 125 Harley we had as kids...
the James was produced from 1903 to 1966...after 48 they have a tube fork and not nearly as cool styleing.....

is that one of those stuffed little kids in the background, like the ones you always see at car shows?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
]Had a bit of time so have a little done to this.my grandson wants it so Im gonna make it a runner of sorts.....
Sandblasted all the aparts-cleaned the tank-
installed a N.O.S.= US Military surplus 4 stroke Teledyne engine with centrifugal clutch,these run great....
got some black "rust stop" on the bare steel for handling purposes till I do the bodywork on the pitted parts......
sorry =one pic is a mistake...

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
here it is as of today,engine is on it and a runner- exhaust is 1" conduit with a leg from an old dinette table turned into a muffler with a hoemade baffle....
bought him a new Ultima solo seat in brown...

still need a jackshaft/belt to chain-a throttle and a few items then it teardown for bodywork and paint..... my grandson[10 yr old] wanted it for his local cruisenight to have something to be a "{participant"{ rather than just a onlooker.....

Attachments

·
Banned
700 Posts
I heard a story from a sailor about riding around submarine decks on a Famous James.

A '49 has sat eighteen years in my front window as a plant stand, complete but for a taillamp, and muffler can. Whizzer tailpipes instead!

My wrenches don't fit.

.....Cotten

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend Greg Phillips=[singledownloop on here]=laid the 4"
ceramic tiles in a diamond format instead of straitsquare -then I did the pegasus sign, it is an 1/8"aluminum horse shape with red vinyl graphic inlaid in a peice of FRP board flushed and overlayed in bartop epoxy.....
A real sign like that would run 1500 or more....

OK, bikes way cool but that FLOOR is freakin' awesome! Is it vinyl flooring or something more?:p

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the sprocket/pulley/bearings etc for the jackshaft yesterday,DAMN=75 BUCKS...
i HAD SOME 3.4"SHAFT...
I am shooting for a low speed cruiser here....
tryin to determine ratios and speed etc so far with what I have to use on it.
It has a 3"belt pulley on the engine[centrifugal clutch]-
6" pulley input of jackshaft-=2:1 ratio?
12t sprocket on jackshaft//44t sprocket at wheel=3:6 ratio
25" tire height-79" circumference?
TOTAL ration combo seems to be 5:75 to 1
I came up with 32MPH at 2500 RPM?

anyone any smarter welcome to chime in here if you can....I wanted a 15MPH top speed but......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.