Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has been riding across the US and Canada for the past 5 months, and was heading back home to the Bay Area. I told him I would meet him and ride the last couple days. He was covering about 100 - 150 scenic miles per day, so I gave myself 5 days to meet him in Flagstaff, AZ. and ride back.

I left Oakland on Saturday morning at 8 am- 186 miles to Selma, gassed up. 185 more miles gased up. Then 150. By nightfall I found myself in Kingman, AZ. The wind was howling and it was cold. How many more miles to Flaggstaff? Ouch. Temp was dropping fast too. I went to Walmart and bought some thermal underpants, gassed up and hit it. Temps were down to the 30's by the time a had dinner at the Copper Cart in Seligman. I made it to Flagstaff by 9 pm. 750 miles one way, one day. (Mind you this is on a Moto Guzzi V-11 Sport with rearsets, sport suspension, and low bars. My only luggage was a tankbag with rainpants and some clothing.)

The next morning we got up ( I don't know how), had coffee at the Late Train cafe in downtown, and hit the road- Destin to see how far we could get. Made all the way back to Fresno (about 500 miles) where my body told me to get some sleep or else!
This morning we got up and rode the remaining 260 some miles home by 2 pm. WOW!

It was fun, but I'm going to take my time on the next trip!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
iron butt? damn brother... iron balls, too... i have a hard time riding to the city with my back and all...welcome home...i gotta' meet your friend soon...;)
nic

·
Registered
149 Posts
your cool but what if that tank bag and rain pants was a
mexican blanket with oil soaked jeans rolled in it.....then you would be off the charts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the dude said:
The distance isnt so bad but I cant stand cold, but hey with the Guzzi it is easy to warm your hands on the heads
Yeah-

By the time we stopped in Fresno, it was really cold w/ valley fog. I went to the hotel desk, and while talking to the clerk, my nose decided to drip on the counter-- Sweet. She thought I was on serious drugs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Damn! On a V11?

Iron butt...iron elbows...iron back...iron wrists...iron knees...

On this old CBR I had, after 40 minutes I was crippled. I can't imagine riding that far in the "sporting position."

cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts