Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should start by saying that i like simple bikes. My idea of a nice bobber is not the most expensive, "too pretty to look at" ride. No offense. I just know that if I had a show bike I would wreck it. Although with that being said Angry Monkey makes a beautiful machine.

For years i have wanted a triumph bobber. Nothing too nice just a simple stock front half and rigid rear. Something that I could ride. I know very little about bikes except what I like. I am by no means a builder or a mechanic, so I'm not going to be making any great "one off" parts or even be buying any really exciting parts. Like i stated before, I just want to put together a ride-able Brit bob. This is not going to be a quick build and some might find it boring.

So here is my first build. I started by buying this roller from a guy on Craigs that was moving out of the country. It was a titled frame with usable wheels and a nice triumph tank. The tank had a minor dent. Looked like a hammer dent (who does that). It came with a Santee hardtail from the old days. I needed a motor and a million other parts. I started by buying a set of 67 cases on E__y. They were nice until the local British bike guy broke them in the cleaning process (see pic). They were broken around the tappet hole. i decided to find a whole motor to start with. I then bought a complete motor off Craigs from a guy leaving town the next day. I started tearing the motor down and found that it was in great shape. The crank and rods were perfect. I sent them to California to be balanced and polished. I got the cylinders bored .20 over. I needed some welding done on the frame so a I found a local guy here on JJ to help me. He did a great job. It feels like i have spent a million dollars on this little thing and that little thing and still have a long way to go. I have been at this for a year and a half now and I am in no hurry to finish this bike. It is keeping me out of trouble.

I am at a halt now. I promised the wife I would pay off the credit cards before going nuts buying parts again. Before I forget, I couldn't have gotten this far without the help of my cat. She has been super supportive.:D

Enough with the verbiage. I know we all hate the articles and love the pics so here ya go!

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next step is sending the Head to Cali for a rebuild, when i am not in $$$$ lock down. Screw responsibility I want parts!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Nice start! It looks like you are taking your time, and doing it up right, you'll be happy you did :D
Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Looks good. Your cat has that typical..yeah, so what look that I like about cats.

Which way are you going on oil tank, pipes & front & rear wheels ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Whittigier:
The cat is 19 and doesn't put up with much shit. It suprises me that she likes to hang out in the garage while i am out there working. The oil tank is a vertical tank. You can kinda see it in the last pic. the wheels are standard triumph 19 from and 18 rear, except the front is a 58 to 65. The pipes i haven't really decided on yet. Kinda leaning towards the one on each side down low look, with some cocktail shakers.

Dan:
Thanks. Congrats on your bikes being featured in The Horse lately.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have that same oil tank. I really like the way it looks on my bike. I was thinking about using the hairpin springs myself. Your build is looking very nice. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Wow, that is one OLD cat !! She definitely knows what she does and doesn't like !!

Nice choice in wheels. I could see in the pics but were interested to know if you might have been going 16 out back. I like both 16 & 18 on Triumphs. It's always a hard thought decision for me on which way to go.

Triumphs pipes are classic and you can't lose running one pipe each side down low and with Cocktail Shakers at that.

Whittigier:
The cat is 19 and doesn't put up with much shit. It suprises me that she likes to hang out in the garage while i am out there working. The oil tank is a vertical tank. You can kinda see it in the last pic. the wheels are standard triumph 19 from and 18 rear, except the front is a 58 to 65. The pipes i haven't really decided on yet. Kinda leaning towards the one on each side down low look, with some cocktail shakers.

Dan:
Thanks. Congrats on your bikes being featured in The Horse lately.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I find a lot of people's home-made fender struts to be either distracting or shoddy-looking. Yours looks perfect.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I find a lot of people's home-made fender struts to be either distracting or shoddy-looking. Yours looks perfect.
i appreciate that. i assure you it is not perfect. it didn't really turn out the way i wanted and i might remake it. the flat stock was cheap.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts