Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read the posts, I've watched Triumph 101 and here's where I am at. 72 Triumph, joe hunt magneto.

I seem to have compression, spark and as far as I can tell, fuel. I have timed the bike more than once to what I believe is 38 before TDC (72 triumph timing notch in the crank) and with feeler know that I am at the right spot. I've put in a smaller screw to hold the cam (bought one that is 1/4" shorter than what I had and used the little finder tool to keep the crank from turning when I tightened that screw down). Kick kick....and kick some more, nothing. I've gotten a back fire out of the pipes and most recently out of the carb (with starter fluid).

So, any suggestions. I am going to time the bike again using the info from a previous post in terms of measuring 3/4" (believe that was the number) before TDC. What else can/could it be that I am missing? Something in the carb/fuel delivery, valves?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
a feeler gauge is the wrong way to set the timing, you'll end up about 10 degrees to advanced.
here is how I do it...set the engine at 38 BTC or 3/8" Before top dead center and then we use a piece of cellophane from a cigarette wrapper and as you rotate the mag body clockwise the very point the cellophane comes out of the points is where you lock the body down. it usually takes several times of setting the taper drive to get that position in the middle of the timing slots.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Fair warning. If you're new to fully advanced mags. Keep your knee bent while you kick it and be ready for the ever waiting kick back.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
+1 on what La Dolce says.. watch that knee and don't kick it with your chuck taylors..

Also..make sure you are setting the points as they are OPENING not closing, very easy to make that mistake.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
+1 on what La Dolce says.. watch that knee and don't kick it with your chuck taylors..

Also..make sure you are setting the points as they are OPENING not closing, very easy to make that mistake.

good luck.
+2 I do this as time goes and forget make sure your on the proper side of the lobe ( when it opens) youll know if it is wrong . As far as the kickback i think it is minimal in comparison to other bikes but im not a small guy either...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, re-timed and kicked a bit. Good news, timing didn't slip so at least that screw isn't the issue. Timed using the notches in the crank and the cellophane, so that should be right. Before I move onto something else as the problem will time one more time using the notches and a ruler to verify that I am at 3/8" before TDC. If timing isn't the issue, could this be a carb/fuel delivery issue or do I go to valves next (as for the carb, I do have the choke hole blocked off but everything I read suggested no need for a choke). Any guidance is welcome.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
if you can tickle gas out of the carb and it still doesn't fire up then it probably not a gas issue.
you need 3 things to get an engine to run, compression, spark (at the right time) and fuel.

do a compression test, and then put a degree wheel on it and strobe time it with a timing light to see if you are getting any spark, and at what point it's firing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, not to restart my old thread, but I'm still scratching my head. Here's where I am at.

1)As Tony mentioned, I can tickle gas out of the carb no problem, so I guess I have fuel.

2) I have spark

3) I think the spark is firing at the right time, 38 BTDC based on the crank notches, piece of cigarette paper just coming out as the points open on the mag. Kicked, a couple times, rechecked timing and it hadn't slipped...so should be good there.

4) Compression - although I haven't compression tested it...yet, I do seem to have compression when I kick, and can't keep a finger of the spark plug when I turn the engine over.

So...what else do I need to look at it before I pile it into the truck and bring it down to either Tony or Wes (which may be delayed as I need to make sure the truck can do what it needs to do as well...heh). Proper compression test? Valves? Carb not delivering fuel....god forbid all of the above??

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
bring it down this Sunday at 7am and you will be able to attend our BSA owners club swap meet. Wes might be there too...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen this happen before.

Are your pushrods seated so the intake valves actually open?

Idle screw on carb set up enough?

Pilot circuit clear and allows fuel to come through?

You gap your plugs? Sometimes they come with way too small of a gap and it makes starting a pain in the butthole.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bring it down this Sunday at 7am and you will be able to attend our BSA owners club swap meet. Wes might be there too...
I would, except the 65 Chevy may not be ready to transport the bike quite that far (am in Pasadena).

I've seen this happen before.

Are your pushrods seated so the intake valves actually open?

Idle screw on carb set up enough?

Pilot circuit clear and allows fuel to come through?

You gap your plugs? Sometimes they come with way too small of a gap and it makes starting a pain in the butthole.
Gapped the plugs, they are just over .020.

Idle screw - I think so. I suppose I can mess with it and see what that gets me.

Pilot circuit - How do I check??? My guess is fuel delivery might be the problem, if I indeed did get timing right which I think I did.

Pushrods - I'll have to check. Valves were going to be the last thing I wanted to look at and only after I eliminated everything else.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
could you have it timed on the exhaust instead of the intake?

·
Registered
47 Posts
1. Do you have a shop manual? If not, you should consider getting one.

2. What did you do, if anything, right before this "no start" problem began?

3. Are you running fresh fuel?

4. Have you tried using a little starting fluid again?

5. Do you have acceptable compression according to the manual? If you don't have a compression tester then consider buying, renting, or borrowing one from your local auto/bike shop or friend.

6. Are you sure that you're setting the timing at TDC on the compression stroke? Note: you can test this by applying air pressure to the #1 cylinder (i.e. through a compression tester connection hose or other suitable means). Both valves should, of course, be closed at TDC of the compression stroke.

7. Are your spark plugs brand new and are you getting a nice strong spark?

8. Are your spark plug cables in good condition and routed to the proper cylinders?

Note: I realize that some of the above may not apply to your particular bike. However, this simple troubleshooting is often a good place to start.

Hang in there, you'll figure this thing out.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Make sure your the right side of the cam lobe again this was my mistake several times . Make sure your slides are open , adjust them up even so the throttle is cracked halfway to be sure.. then if it fires lower them . Check the plugs for gas. Plugs gapped at 18 , mag points at 15 at the point they open up so get the mag to the advance point and lock down at 0.15 alittle varience on theses isn't gonna make it not start. I always reset valve lash to make sure. 0.02 intake , 0.04 exhaust. Then you know. Just pissing in the wind otherwise.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ok, not to restart my old thread, but I'm still scratching my head. Here's where I am at.

1)As Tony mentioned, I can tickle gas out of the carb no problem, so I guess I have fuel.

2) I have spark

3) I think the spark is firing at the right time, 38 BTDC based on the crank notches, piece of cigarette paper just coming out as the points open on the mag. Kicked, a couple times, rechecked timing and it hadn't slipped...so should be good there.

4) Compression - although I haven't compression tested it...yet, I do seem to have compression when I kick, and can't keep a finger of the spark plug when I turn the engine over.

So...what else do I need to look at it before I pile it into the truck and bring it down to either Tony or Wes (which may be delayed as I need to make sure the truck can do what it needs to do as well...heh). Proper compression test? Valves? Carb not delivering fuel....god forbid all of the above??
I just looked at the time difference...your still at this after 5 months!

Take it to Tony....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
could you have it timed on the exhaust instead of the intake?
I suppose could have but I find BTDC based on the crankshaft notch and verify with the timing side piston coming up. Should I set that differently?

Make sure your the right side of the cam lobe again this was my mistake several times . Make sure your slides are open , adjust them up even so the throttle is cracked halfway to be sure.. then if it fires lower them . Check the plugs for gas. Plugs gapped at 18 , mag points at 15 at the point they open up so get the mag to the advance point and lock down at 0.15 alittle varience on theses isn't gonna make it not start. I always reset valve lash to make sure. 0.02 intake , 0.04 exhaust. Then you know. Just pissing in the wind otherwise.
Ok, will gap plugs a little more and check valve lash. Was trying to avoid the valves til every other possibility had been addressed.

I just looked at the time difference...your still at this after 5 months!

Take it to Tony....
Hahah. Life gets in the way so in those 5 months if I've managed to maybe spend a day on it's a lot. Plus I had to source the truck that would be able to cart it around and get it to Tony in the fist place.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts