Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
dude......I've seen those things before...they are wicked cool and I wanna try one too. I have even saw a guy ride with one before at Hooters. I was so stoked, I thought about putting one on my cb250 the entire time I drove home from Bike Night!

Dude....if you get any pictures of one, post em up.... I got see that shit again!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well my understanding of a jockey shift is that its hand shifted and is located behind you so you would reach back and slam through the gears. But on a cb450, it would be located in front of your leg. Then if you are switching over to a hand shift set up, then you would most likely want a foot clutch. If you are keeping the mid controls it would be diffacult to make a foot clutch set up w/ the shifter assembly being right there. You could just have the clutch lever at the end of the hand shifter but........ i think that looks like shit

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
so are you making a chopper kind of bike , or a racer , or what . The style of the bike you're building will tell you how you want to shift and ride .

aquire a vision of the type of bike you want , and let it tell you how it needs to be put together , then ask questions . . . otherwise we will all just be guessing .

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was once a motorcycle retard too, so I'll go easy on you and try to answer your question...

On british bikes and early sportsters a lot of guys have a hand shifter on the right side. IMO it's the epitome of gayness to put something heavier and harder to operate in place of something that was already functional and weighed less.

Now if you're building something purely for aesthetics and you have lots of over the top senseless shit like a 18 over front end with 75 degree rake, a 6 foot sissy bar and a diesel style exhuast stack whatever. But a bobber and a hardcore chopper are about getting rid of the excess. A 70's show bike is something else, but whatever...

To make a jockey shifter for a CB you will need some sort of a foot clutch or you'll have to put your clutch on your brake side so you can shift and use the clutch at the same time. You could also put the clutch on the shifter, and make your bike that much more dangerous and hard to ride. On a british bike or early sporty you're cool cause it's on the other side. and you can do both.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone said they didn't understand why you would trade something harder to use for something better, well, I can tell you have never used a Jockey Shift with a suiside clutch, because it isn't any harder , just different, sure if you are a dragracer it might make shifting slower, but for regular hard riding, other than a sport bike, it is Bloody awsome. I tell anyone thinking about a Jockey shift to go for it, if ya don't like it, simple, take it off. Here is a pic of my sporty with a suiside clutch/ jockey shift setup I made.:D Anyway, have a blast people, next time around YOU might be the shrimp on bbq.:p

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Boys go easy on him and if I am not mistaken he is a young man and learnin and workin for Weyland.If ya know who Weyland is,his shit is top notch and someday the kid could be better than all of us.

Just remember back to the 1st bike you hacked up and how excited you were and had all these ideas and things you wanted to try.Matter of fact I believe someone even gave him the bike to build because of his egarness to learn if not it was really cheap.I am not sure Jockey shift would be the 1st thing I would do to this bike but if thats what ya want the go for it.

As for the Brits I have a light weight one made out of chrmly tube on my trump.I did this out of the need to keep from throwing myself over the bars everytime I came to a stop by downshifting to 1st because I thought the shifter was the brake....HAHAHAHA That way when I go from the HD to the Trump it keeps me straight.I know this sounds stupid but last year I slid thru the intersection at the Hamb drags cause I had the foot shifter on and thought it was the brake pedal.Not a very controled stop either more like gracefully out of control bring me some new underwear stop:D
Shoe

Shoe

·
Registered
344 Posts
Jockey refers to the shifter being behind your leg under your ass...

You can also put a hand shifter up near the petrol tank, as a few guys have suggested, it all depends on what your doing, and where you put your clutch, but generally suicide clutch is on your left foot.

Now stop and think what you do when you pull up to a set of lights...

If your not with me, hang fire, and wait until you understand it a little better...

If you are and it's what you want give it a go.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
go suicide with the clutch on the shift lever - thats where im thinkng of heading on my build

looks pretty cool and solves some of the issues of a jockey in heavy traffic - depends what you want really - pays your monay takes your pick....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts