Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I am posting after doing some extesnive searching on this board about possible Jocky/Hand Shift.

I have read every thread about who likes it and who doesn't etc...

I also read the whole front break no front break debates as well.

All great stuff and have helped me greatly.

I am trying to find out more info on how Jockey shift works, and or kits available to make it work.

I am sure there is something out there - in fact I ran into something in the Jammer Cat - but wanted to look on here to see if anyone could steer me in a good direction etc...

Basically looking for -

1. How exactly it works..

I mean I get the jist of it - but would like a better understanding - i.e. is this just a shifter connected to the transmission?

Do I just make a new cable to run from my foot clutch - (and yes foot clutch - not hand or anything else) to the transmission - or is there a better and cleaner way to do this?

2. Is there any kits better than the other's?

Now - to solve the what are you riding question - I decided to post some photos (if you need more - I have them), so you knew what I am dealing with.

Evo Motor / 3" BDL - in a rigid.

Thank you in advance for the advice and comments...

This board has been a MAJOR help and Influence to me!

Respect to each and every one of you on here that give out amazing thoughts and help....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
hi Thankful -

your bike/driveline is newer than anything I have worked with, but I think I can share the basic idea w/you ..

here are some pix of a LaBriola aftermarket jockey kit for the cable-to-tranny clutch I think you have, a set someone was selling used on Horse swap ..

I think your forward bracket/kickstand may be a later style, but hopefully this will let you visualise the pedal & pivot & cable boss arrangement in case you were to fab your own clutch pedal, folks have done similarly with Triumphs and Ironhead Sporty clutches ..

and like the 4-speed trannies, it looks like the shift lever bolts directly to the tranny lid ..

Good luck ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Nice bike.
I'm in the process of making my own set up and getting passed the long clutch cable thing is what holding me up. I would prefer to make something short and direct to the pedal.
I have been thinking of a rod from pedal to a pivot point that when pushed with pedal rod, it tilts and pulls on short cable for clutch. (dunno if that idea is even conveyed clear enough to make sense)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here is a home made one.

when I built the bike I left the shifter up here in front until I learned how to ride a jockey shift, then I made a new arm and moved it back in the normal "jockey" position. It was a shorter distance here beside the tank and easier to learn with

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - This does help for sure - Thank You.

And Thanks for the nice comments on my bike.... I love it, and glad I went this route with it...

Just time for some more fun and challenge - and I have been really thinking about the Jockey setup - to get it out of my veins... if I like - which I think I will, it will be all good... If I don't - then no biggie, I will switch....

Anyways back to the topic.

Can I use my existing pedal I have now - or do I replace that all together.

I am looking at the kits that you guys suggested - and the JP kit looks nice and complete - well it says it is.... says it can be installed in about an hour - so thats cool.

The Labriola kit looks real nice as well. I may have to call them tomorrow - to get more info on it.

Thanks again for the feedback, and if you have anymore - that would be great...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Once again, nice bike, definate canidate for a jockey shift. I have never ridden a tank shift before(in front of the leg) so I can't comment on that, but a jockey shift(behind the leg, like a jockey reaching back to beat his horse) Has to be the best bit of fun ever bolted onto a bike other than a 110lb agitator. It took me about 25 miles to get used to it and 5,000 miles to stop killing the motor when making a left hand turn hill start, hehe. You'll find yourself riding alot harder, hell my first wheelie on my Sporty was done after I made my jockey shift, I(accidently) let the clutch out a bit to fast and my ass slid off my sprung seat, dumping the clutch completely and cracking the throttle at the same time, that 6" over front end came up with ease, it wasn't 30 seconds after recovering that I was into the next wheelie, this time with a bit of controll. Honestly though, you will love it, it's a bit more of a pain in the ass in traffic, but you will get used to it and it becomes second nature.

Charley

thankful said:
OK - This does help for sure - Thank You.

And Thanks for the nice comments on my bike.... I love it, and glad I went this route with it...

Just time for some more fun and challenge - and I have been really thinking about the Jockey setup - to get it out of my veins... if I like - which I think I will, it will be all good... If I don't - then no biggie, I will switch....

Anyways back to the topic.

Can I use my existing pedal I have now - or do I replace that all together.

I am looking at the kits that you guys suggested - and the JP kit looks nice and complete - well it says it is.... says it can be installed in about an hour - so thats cool.

The Labriola kit looks real nice as well. I may have to call them tomorrow - to get more info on it.

Thanks again for the feedback, and if you have anymore - that would be great...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I carefully looked at your foot control setup.

The cleanest and easiest method: (all P/n's from the 2006 V-Twin catalog)

1) VT No. 21-0151 Jockey Pedal Conversion Kit

2) VT No. 21-0323 Shifter Handle, Jockey 5spd.

Cheaper method:

1) VT No. 36-0516 Cable Assy., Foot Clutch

2) VT No. 21-0323 Shifter Handle, Jockey 5 spd.

Method #2 will require some fabrication skills to convert your shift pedal to accept a clutch cable.

The Jockey Pedal Conversion Kit parts (method #1) look dead near exact to your current foot control.

Remember, big titty stripper chicks only roll with guys who jockey shift.:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
A buddy of mine and I fabricated a jockey shift for his 93 Wide Glide. We used a suicide clutch assembly from Iron Tail Enterprises, but they appear to be defunct. We ended up using a kicker pedal for the suicide clutch. Since it spun, it provided a lot more control than the rods that come with many kits. Also, it was snug enough that it didn't move in the wind. Looked fucking cool and worked great. The kits are very easy to install with just some basic mechanical skills, too.

Cool bike, BTW. Like the paint and the sissy bar in particular.

Good luck

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys....

I am definitely doing the conversion.

I just need to narrow down the kit.

I have been on the road all week last week for work - and now I am back in business.

I am going to look into this seriously this week.

Thanks for all the tips and part numbers etc...

Much appreciated!

I will keep ya updated on which way I go.

Thanks,

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rocks Chops said:
In front or behind the leg? Nice fuckin' bike! I love Chandlers.
Behind the leg.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dr. Jett said:
I carefully looked at your foot control setup.

The cleanest and easiest method: (all P/n's from the 2006 V-Twin catalog)

1) VT No. 21-0151 Jockey Pedal Conversion Kit

2) VT No. 21-0323 Shifter Handle, Jockey 5spd.

Cheaper method:

1) VT No. 36-0516 Cable Assy., Foot Clutch

2) VT No. 21-0323 Shifter Handle, Jockey 5 spd.

Method #2 will require some fabrication skills to convert your shift pedal to accept a clutch cable.

The Jockey Pedal Conversion Kit parts (method #1) look dead near exact to your current foot control.

Remember, big titty stripper chicks only roll with guys who jockey shift.:D
Dr.Jett - I don't have a V-twin Cat handy - and was trying to find it online - but ran into some sites that were all messed up...

Basically did a search for v twin catalog - and ran into the first few sites that were not in working order.

Anways - did you pull those part numbers from a hard catalog - or online?

And if it was online do you have a link?

Thanks,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts