Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we would all rather ride in t-shirts or whatever is comfy, but we're coming on that time of year again where riding naked to impress the chicks gets difficult... I've been looking for something comfortable to ride in (especially when riding up to the mountain) that doesn't look like it's straight out of the 80's with 50 zippers, tassles, and all that extra shit. Maybe Euro/scooter style?? And if I'm going to go through all the trouble of wearing one, it might as well be good quality... (no fake leather shit) any thoughts? Any cool places to check out? I was thinking Garage Company might have something, but didn't see anything. I'm dreading spending money on this shit...

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Okay, we would all rather ride in t-shirts or whatever is comfy, but we're coming on that time of year again where riding naked to impress the chicks gets difficult... I've been looking for something comfortable to ride in (especially when riding up to the mountain) that doesn't look like it's straight out of the 80's with 50 zippers, tassles, and all that extra shit. Maybe Euro/scooter style?? And if I'm going to go through all the trouble of wearing one, it might as well be good quality... (no fake leather shit) any thoughts? Any cool places to check out? I was thinking Garage Company might have something, but didn't see anything. I'm dreading spending money on this shit...
www.vansonleathers.com by far the best leather jackets i have ever owned...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have to second the Vanson... I have a Buell one that I got a handful of years ago when I still had my M2, and love it... Mine has perferations on the chest so you can wear it while its warm, or just zip in the liner when its cold.. They are def pricey, but the quality is second to none..

·
Registered
617 Posts
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/5.html

this jacket is tough as shit. and comfortable as hell. It has enough decent ventilation that I wear it in 90 degree weather with minimal sweating. I think the price is excellent considering the quality. granted they don't have as many cool styles as the Vanson stuff, but I like the old classic style anyway.

mitch

·
Registered
335 Posts
Scooter,

Ya cant go wrong with a Vanson... Great bike wear by them for sure. Glad to be of some help!
XCS

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Now we're talkin'! Thanks guys! It looks like there is a Vanson dealer here in town too.
if the dealer is selling them for MSRP, just try them on to get your size and find one on ebay. i found the vanson sportbike style jacket to be a little uncomfortable if you have high apes...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tom, forgot about that...definately check the bay after you try em on at the dealer. If ya do find one that fits good in your riding position, be sure to get the exact model number as they have so many that are similar to one another..would suck to get one that looks the same, but is cut slightly different.
XCS

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good tip guys! Thanks again! They had some styles I definitely wouldn't mind checking out. I like that there "sport bike" style jackets are still traditional looking. Not all crazy moon suite looking like the Joe Rocket type jackets. I just want something simple that fits good, is comfy and breathes well.
XCabbieS said:
Tom, forgot about that...definately check the bay after you try em on at the dealer. If ya do find one that fits good in your riding position, be sure to get the exact model number as they have so many that are similar to one another..would suck to get one that looks the same, but is cut slightly different.
XCS

·
Registered
335 Posts
Scooter, that is what mine is like. Basic black, simple sport bike style. Its really comfy after you get used to the weight of carrying around a whole cow:D LOL!! Seriously, they are some heavy jackets. THICK leather on em, but still soft, they break in nice and sweet..
XCS

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Like an old girlfriend, it just feels right.

I've got 2 Vansons. A fully perf. and soilid. I sent the solid one to Vanson for new zippers and black vanson patches. The yellow patches are a bit much. It's a 44 and I'm thinking about getting another one. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
504 Posts
while we're on the subject. where could i get an old style jacket.

like the ones they wore at the salt flat races, (non leather jackets)

i have a stupid allergy to cow leather. (i can't even wear belts with cow leather) or i get a rash.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Snorton, you mean like to old cotton board track jackets? Good question...I know Ive seen em around on the internet before, but I know they were pretty damn pricey and were really nothing more than a fashion accessory. Have you looked at the cordura ones at all? You can get them in pretty much any style that the leather ones come in, and they are pretty damn close to leather in terms of protection. Pretty much much any local bike shop thats worth a damn, ie import shop, will have these. Dennis Kirk, etc if ya wanna go the internet route. I think that almost everyone that makes the leather ones makes the cordura ones too... Hope this helps ya!
XCS

·
Registered
568 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Come on Scott..!! it doesn't get cold in Vegas!!!!! hahaha!! :D

I have a real nice old French leather jacket (Segura) from back in my sportbike days. But on my Trump, I mostly wear my Dickies jacket... Cheap and warm.. I use it for almost everything. One day I'm welding in it, then I use it ride, the next I wear it to the disco. Hah!! :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HAAAA!! :D You need to come out and visit me in January! Last year I woke up to 6-inches of snow on my patio! That's a lot for Vegas!! It has to get pretty damn cold for that to happen!

It's funny, there's probably people reading this from back East that are like "what the fuck?! 6-inches? That's nothin'!" I grew up in the Midwest and know that's nothing. I grew up in Iowa and remember shoveling the driveway for my Dad and it was -30F with the wind chill and the drift I was shoveling was like 3-feet... then the snow plow would come by and screw everything I just did!!

Anyway, I've got tons of Dickies jackets that are perfect for riding in Vegas during most of the winter, it's when I ride up to the mountains when it gets a little on the frigid side. So far I'm diggin' the Vanson jackets, and I'm going to check them out at my local BMW cycle dealer.
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Come on Scott..!! it doesn't get cold in Vegas!!!!! hahaha!! :D

I have a real nice old French leather jacket (Segura) from back in my sportbike days. But on my Trump, I mostly wear my Dickies jacket... Cheap and warm.. I use it for almost everything. One day I'm welding in it, then I use it ride, the next I wear it to the disco. Hah!! :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've got a Bates, 2 Joe Rocket vintage looking jackets, and a Tenik for those really really cold days. I mostly wear the Joe Rocket jackets. The Bates I can wear but it's tight, cause I had it made about 9 years ago, and I'm not the bean pole I was back then. It's a cafe looking jacket that i designed back when the only sport bike jackets you could get looked like someone puked up Ben and Jerry's all over you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
thanks for the tip on the codura. good idea! i bet if i asked on the hamb about the track jackets they'd know, but like you daid, they're pricey.

XCabbieS said:
Snorton, you mean like to old cotton board track jackets? Good question...I know Ive seen em around on the internet before, but I know they were pretty damn pricey and were really nothing more than a fashion accessory. Have you looked at the cordura ones at all? You can get them in pretty much any style that the leather ones come in, and they are pretty damn close to leather in terms of protection. Pretty much much any local bike shop thats worth a damn, ie import shop, will have these. Dennis Kirk, etc if ya wanna go the internet route. I think that almost everyone that makes the leather ones makes the cordura ones too... Hope this helps ya!
XCS

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
snortonnorton said:
thanks for the tip on the codura. good idea! i bet if i asked on the hamb about the track jackets they'd know, but like you daid, they're pricey.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/santa_fe.htm
http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/3fa_nfalcon.htm
http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/vmx_ventmax.htm

This one's leather but check out the elbow armor:
http://http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/exo_jacket.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts